Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oxygen sensor wires

specko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk injected v8. sv5000
hi guys, just doing the final connections before i start my fresh motor. not sure where the 4 wires go to that come from sensor on the exhaust. 1 of them goes through the firewall so that ones sorted, there are 2 black wires that look like earths and 1 red wire that has starter written on it. is it this simple? 2 earths an a power that goes on the starter? i got this car from a mate who had already disconnected most of the wiring an not labelled these. any help would be appreciated

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Two wires are preheat (most likely the two black wires) then one will be signal ground and the other signal voltage output.

specko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk injected v8. sv5000
thanks for your reply tasmaniak. where abouts would the two black wires hook on to?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I'm not sure. But I believe they would goto the ECU also as it switches the heater on and off. To get it running, you don't need the heater wires hooked up theoretically... Quick rundown...

The o2 sensor develops it's own voltage. Unlike other sensors which have a 5v reference/supply It simply generates it's own. But before it can do that it has to get up to operating temperature first. In newer cars (and not so newer) they supply either a 12v or 5v supply to the sensor to heat it up within a few minutes of starting the car. Once the ECU starts receiving data from the sensor it switches the heater off. So, you can run quite happily without the heater, it just takes longer (potentially) for your ECU to come out of closed loop mode (or does it start in open loop and go into closed? Can never bloody remember)

What are the four wire colours?

two blacks, red and what?

specko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk injected v8. sv5000
a pink an blue wire. or pink an purple.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Hang about. It just dawned me.... VNs didn't have 4 wire o2 sensors. They had either a single or two wire sensor. I'm sure of it.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Which means... ignore the rest!

specko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk injected v8. sv5000
just seems strange that there are 4 wires coming from the exhaust. maybe these are earths. they have a ring connection to go over a 10mm stud or bolt. still just trying 2 figure out where its bolted to tho.