Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio and Heater Died

dasweetdude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 1999 Berlina S2 Supercharged V6
I had some work done to my car and after l got it back l wanted to change the battery from my VR to my VT when l did this it was raining and well cutting a long story short the battery was put in backwards by my friend and reversed the polarity and the alternator caught on fire. So yeah it was a big spark l took it for a drive shortly after and everything works fine except the Heater and the Radio sometimes the heater works and the fan works and sometimes the blower drops out and doesn't work the demisters works fine just the blower doesn't blow air. The radio doesn't work at all never turns on so l don't know really where to start to try and fix the problem. I checked the fuses and relays and pretty sure its not them unless a relay works and then drops out. I could use some advise l know it could be the computer but l doubt that this is the problem l got a new alternator and all is good minus these 2 problems. Any advise would be great.

Last edited:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
your friend must be a real dumb ass because the terminals are different sizes. it's almost impossible to fit the negative lead to the positive terminal.
I'd be checking fuses and wiring for damage.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Easy relay test, swap the suspect one for one that works fine if the issue follows the relay is stuffed if it doesnt doesn't continue with the checking of radio and fan

v6nutz_2012

Self-Confessed Basshead
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2000 VT S Pac "Gold Nugget"
your friend must be a real dumb ass because the terminals are different sizes. it's almost impossible to fit the negative lead to the positive terminal.
I'd be checking fuses and wiring for damage.

I lol'd at this as my brother done the same thing to his mates car. Blew every single fuse in it. BTW, he WAS a 2nd year apprentice electrician
With that being said, check the fuses

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Check the "Blower Fusible link" under the bonnet (Yellow @60 amps. Green @ 40 amps).
This is the main fuse for the blower fan
That would be probably the first to go under the circumstances you described.

Check the "Blower Inhibit Relay",
This relay is a direct link to the fan switch.
If it is cactus, you wont get any fan speeds.
Or this....https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-diagnose-hvac-fan-problems-vt-vz.209382

For the radio.....
Check Numbers 16, 20 and 23 fuses.