Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY intermittent dash lights - please help

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I'm having a problem with my VY executive with some of the dash lights randomly not turning on or going out when driving. The lights around the auto gear selector, heater/aircon controls, and hazard button are the ones affected and they all go out at the same time. The cluster and radio are working fine. I've checked the fuses with a test light but don't know what else to check.

Cheers

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Mine does the same thing but only sometimes.. If I turn the headlights on sometimes the heater controls and auto shifter lights don't come on until I turn the heater fan on they they all work..

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
A little hard to check, but do you know if your park lights and tail lights are doing the same thing?
Have you installed a stereo recently?
Does it happen while your stationary?
Can you reproduce the fault?

While I may not be able to help you, these are the questions that fist spring to mind and someone else can make sense of the answers.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I'll have to check the park and tail lights next time it does it but no I haven't installed a stereo recently....it just has the standard Blaupunkt unit. It does seem to happen while stationary, like i'll get into the car and turn the headlights on and certain dash
lights aren't working....though the missus said she hit a bump once and it made them go off.

I can't reproduce the fault unfortunately, i'd like to take it to a sparky but they said they will charge me 95 bucks just to take a look and if it doesn't do it while there then i'm just wasting money :(

Last edited:

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Any progress on the fix mate? Does it make Any difference if you turn the head lights to Parkersburg or straight to full lights or turn the heater knobs?

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I turned the headlights on just a few mins ago and yeah half my dash lights weren't working again so i turned the fan on and they instantly worked. I couldn't bail and check my tail lights etc though because i was in traffic. I've sat in the driveway and turned my lights on and off, prodded, poked, fiddled and tapped but I can't reproduce the problem....it just does it randomly....pretty annoying.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Wonder if its a fault in the head light switch? How hard is it to get out and get another or tested?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
is it the same dashlights that stop working each time or random lights at random times?