Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Needed!!! No Power for Cigar lighter and Side Mirrors, all fuses o.k.

metallized

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina LS V6 3.6
Chevrolet Lumina 2008 LS (holden commodore sedan) V6 3.6 Automatic

I had small short circuit in cigar lighter, the spark stayed for 10 seconds, then gone.

Found out fuse blown, with plastic part almost melted.

And wires insulation behind cigar lighter melted and stick to each other and short circuited.

I removed the short circuit and re-tapped the wires.

After all this, replaced the fuse but now there is no power in fuse socked itself

And no power in side mirror adjustable switches and all cigar lighter outlets.

Kindly help!!! If you know about this issue

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
wow.... a short circuit for ten seconds! Thats a lot of Amperage there!

First step would be to check if there is power on the hot side of the fuse. Use a multiemeter or a test light and with the key on, check to see if there is power on either side of the fuse holder.

But to be honest, a 10second short is massive and would've done permanent damage without a doubt. You may find yourself running new power to the accessories on that circuit.

metallized

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina LS V6 3.6
It was not a direct short, it was something like spark due to very close distance between +ve and -ve, which created light due to high resistance and not very high current.

It normally happens when we plug home appliance plug into socket and due to loose connection, the spark creates heat and melts the plug, but the fuse doesn't blow off

metallized

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina LS V6 3.6
Multimeter is showing continuity between fusebox and cigar lighter, so as there is no power in cigar lighter, means no power in fusebox either.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
ok, gotcha. so not a short but an arc :)

Mind you, if melted the wires together... sounds like a short.

Nonetheless, check for power at the fuse. It may lead deeper.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I just love that you described it as a cigar lighter, just have this mental picture of a guy driving his Commodore smoking a cigar :)

Anyway, have you checked continuity between the lighter and mirror and where the fuses are?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Multimeter is showing continuity between fusebox and cigar lighter, so as there is no power in cigar lighter, means no power in fusebox either.
Is it showing continuity between the fusebox and ground?
Yes it can mean power in the fusebox... thats what I want you to ascertain. If there is power at the fusebox and not at the cigarette lighter then that means that a plug has failed or the wire has gotten so hot that it's broken and blown like a fuse.

metallized

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lumina LS V6 3.6
Wires got melted upto a certain point, after that point wires are o.k.

And continuity between fusebox and lighter means that whatever voltage is in the fuse box it will appear in cigar lighter.

Cigar lighter +ve is connected to fuse and multimeter shows that, -ve of cigar lighter is connected to ground.

And that's why there is no power in side mirrors as well, because there is no power in fusebox.

If someone knows about any other fuse than can blow after this fuse or some circuit breaker

benjaminaladin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXii 15year Aniversary Clubsport 6sp Man
edit

Hi everyone. (VERY) New to to here :) done plenty of searches and solved many problems on justcomodores before but cant find an answer to this...

I have a VX clubsport and was re-wiring a aftermarket head unit... due to my error which is now fixed i shorted it out... twice :/ first time it blew fuses 16 (7.5a) and 23 (15a) i replaced them then did another stupid thing and shorted it again.... however it then went bad..

the fuses are still ok (i have tested them off battery and in different slots but the stereo loom is getting no power... And Neither is the fuse box under the steering wheel (tested it with a toool i have no idea what its called sorry) you just clip onto eath and touch pin to circuit and light gos on if there is power (btw done this before i stuffed it and it did work..))

are there any other fuses related to the stereo or wtf could be wrong? maybe ive blown a wire like blowing a fuse but i doubt it coz only gos through a 10a fuse... any help wouild be soo appreciated..

also (POP) there gos my just commodores forum cherry - get ready for a bunch more posts to come :)

sorry for post hijacking realise its 6 months old and only kinda relevant but dont no if i can start a thread yet

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yes mate. There are fuses under the hood not marked as being relevant to the stereo but check them including the big square ones. Not the relays.