Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 3 cluster issues VR

phatgemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 94
Hi all,

Yesterday I put a stage 3 cluster in my 94 VR Exec. Pulled the loom and cluster directly from my old Berlina (was working fine, also a 94 VR), however I've had a couple of issues. None of the fuel calculators seem to work. Fuel avg, Fuel inst and Fuel used don't display correctly, see images attached (not on gas).

Also, the backlights aren't working. Checked the lights on their own and they're working fine. Contacts seem good also. Everything else seems to working as it should, tacho, speedo, fuel, temp, kms, dist to empty. I'm not sure what the issue is and I don't know where to begin to isolate the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: I read through the Trippin thread but didn't find the answer there either.

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey mate, how much of the loom from your berlina did you use? Did you replace the existing or make up a patch harness?

phatgemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 94
Hey, I used the entire loom from the three plugs underneath the steering column to the glovebox.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The issue is the L3 dash loom will not work the lights or rear demister correctly nor the A/C without major wire rework. The dimming of lights is via the BCM in the L3 case and resistance wire in the L2 loom.

You will need to splice in the 4th plug for the cluster and the switch control plug into you dash look.

phatgemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 94
So I'm best off using the L2 loom and splicing in all the bits I need?

VEO55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Yes, because you have a low spec bcm the cluster is not receiving the signal. From memory when I did the conversion I had to run a wire across to the ecu for instant fuel flow.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Yes splice in the plugs and run the yellow black wire to the empty slit in the Engine loom plug at A2 slot.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Sooo much easier to just buy the appropriate patch loom for $100

phatgemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina 94
I was tempted to give in and buy the loom with everything already done, but this morning I actually had a go. Wasn't sure how I'd go, but it was actually quite easy once I had both looms next to each other. I also used the diagram in the Tripin topic.

It works great! Stoked!

Thanks everyone for the assistance! :)