Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please help

Catata-Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT exec
OK, so I tried to be smart and change the dash cluster lights and a/c lights ect. I got as far as the cluster lights and plugged it all back in to check if they were working. My car then blew the instrument fuse, so I replaced it and tried again. It blew it a second time, I replaced it again and tried once more. I heard a click and now I have no dash lights at all (only the replaced bulbs), the hazards and turning signals still work. Also I have no headlights, but I have high beams.:hmmm: The fuse hasn't blown this time but I can't find a fuse for the headlights, and if the fuse isn't blown why aren't the dash lights working?
Please help I thought I could knock this out in a hour or so but its turning into a headache I don't need. Plus I need the car to go to work in the morning at 4, so I really need headlights.
Thanks guys.

BTW I forgot to mention, I drive a 98 VT exec

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The headlight fuses are in the engine bay.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
pull the cluster out and look for burnt tracks or a wire that was pinched and shorting to the body....

this is why there are fuses, they blow for a reason..... just replacing it without investigating leads to more damage... lesson learnt? whatever was shorting out and blowing it in the first place has probably given in and should be easier to find.

Last edited:

Catata-Fish

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT exec
pull the cluster out and look for burnt tracks or a wire that was pinched and shorting to the body....

this is why there are fuses, they blow for a reason..... just replacing it without investigating leads to more damage... lesson learnt? whatever was shorting out and blowing it in the first place has probably given in and should be easier to find.

Yeah thanks guys, I got it all sorted out, took some fiddling around. Crapped myself when the indicators stopped working after I put everything back together but they seemed to fix themselves. I couldn't manage to get some of the lights to work. Mainly the LED display in the cluster( the bulb they gave me wouldn't fit) and the a/c and back window de-mister lights, also the mode light but I don't mind so much I think it looks good having them blacked out and the rest bright.
Now it's time to move on to the next step....the floor lights, then the leather re upholstery, new speakers, re line the roof and spray the dash then the inside will be done!:beer chug:
Then the outside begins lol, big job.mark 009.jpgmark 046.jpgmark 048.jpg