Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo Shorting & Blowing fuse, please help!

Benwhaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Acclaim 3.8L
Hi all, sorta new here so I apologise if this is wrong or whatever.
I have a VX with a Pioneer touch screen head unit installed with all the usual, speakers, sub etc etc.
Yesterday the radio fuse randomly blew.
Replaced with new fuse and keeps blowing, inspected harness from stock stereo too the new stereo and all looks ok.
Put back in the stock head deck with a new fuse and it blew again so this rules out the headeck causing the problem if im correct?
Has anyone had this problem before or should i just start running new cables for power, ignition power and earth?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers !

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yes, but it doesn't rule out the wiring. Is it blowing the main fuse or the accessories fuse? Meaning does it blow the moment you plug it in, or when you turn the key one?

Benwhaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Acclaim 3.8L
It blows as soon as it is inserted with key off, so that would mean the ignition power wire is not the problem yes?
So new power straight from battery and earth wired into the new harness with fuse on power wire should fix the problem ?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Yes but no but. There is an issue that needs to be resolved, ideally, I would trace the fault and find it. Have a look, I bet there is something not working because of the fuse.