Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Think my temp gauge has a ghost in it(vs caprice 5L)

Jasolll

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
So every now and then (say 60-70%) usually happens within 10ish minutes after first starting my car, my temp gauge raises pretty dam quick, sometimes hitting red. And then goes back to normal even faster. The first few times I pulled over and there was no signs of the engine being above normal temp. So I'm pretty confident it's not actually getting hot, plus the gauge lowers way to quick for it to go from that hot back to normal.

Any ideas??

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they are a thermal gauge so either the volt reg is playing up and pumping full volts 14v to it instead of 10v now and then, or could be the sender wire could be touching earth for a moment causing it to read higher also, can also check the earth to the engine make sure that is good, also if the gauge sits past hot for too long it can damage the gauge...

brockzila

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais
they are a thermal gauge so either the volt reg is playing up and pumping full volts 14v to it instead of 10v now and then, or could be the sender wire could be touching earth for a moment causing it to read higher also, can also check the earth to the engine make sure that is good, also if the gauge sits past hot for too long it can damage the gauge...

Agreed ^

Just bought a sender the other day from repco for $14 new cheap piece of mind

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
could it also be an airlock in the system, I don't know the 5L but I know the 3.8's do this with a system that hasn't been bled.