Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt thermo fans

matbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi all need some help. 98 vt v6 thermo fans wont kick in i have changed the coolant temp sensor and tested with the sensor unplugged fans kick in plug it back in and nothing. Tried turning the air con on still nothing. I dont think i have ever heard them running. I was thinking wiring a switch but unsure witch wire to tap into from the ecu. Thanks

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Edit: Sorry didn't read the post properly.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you want to put a switch in, the Blue/White wire from Pin F6 on the ECU provides the earth to activate the high speed
fan relay.
Disconnect this wire from the relay and install your own wire to earth with a switch in it.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hi all need some help. 98 vt v6 thermo fans wont kick in i have changed the coolant temp sensor and tested with the sensor unplugged fans kick in plug it back in and nothing. Tried turning the air con on still nothing. I dont think i have ever heard them running. I was thinking wiring a switch but unsure witch wire to tap into from the ecu. Thanks

If you want to put a switch in, the Blue/White wire from Pin F6 on the ECU provides the earth to activate the high speed
fan relay.
Disconnect this wire from the relay and install your own wire to earth with a switch in it.

This suggestion I quoted is just that, a suggestion and I take no responsibility for damage; either personal or property.

While this modification will work, I highly recommend that the problem you are having be checked out by a qualified mechanic/auto electrician.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You could also do this......

This mod will allow you to switch between the ECU's automatic operation of the fans
and manual operation.

It's pretty self explanatory. Just make sure you use an ON/ON switch.
If you use an ON/OFF/ON switch, you may inadvertently switch the fans off all together.

Just remember, you MUST have at least one fan operating if the air conditioning is in use.

MANUAL OVER RIDE OF ENGINE COOLING FANS. VT/VX (REFER MY POST #4)

Last edited:

matbin

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks the plan is to get it checked out. Just want to get by till i get it up to queensland. Thanks again