Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Davies Craig EWP install

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I am looking to reduce heatsoak, gain some thermal efficiency and reduce parasitic loss from the front dress in my 2011 L77 by swapping the mechanical water pump with a Meziere WP329n electric unit.
I welcome feedback from anyone who has fitted a Meziere, particularly one managed by a digital PWM controller such as the Davies Craig unit.
I have an SLP 160°F thermostat and intend setting the operating temp via controller to 80°C (176°F), and will occasionally set it to 75°C (167°F).
Would the ECU (BCM?) have a spit if I were to simply disconnect the appropriate one of the two thermatic fans from the harness and have that managed by the Davies Craig controller?
Also I run almost exclusively on e85 with original plugs at the moment, any advice regarding revised heat spec / plug gap would also be appreciated.
Documentation

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Daily or weekender?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The parasitic loss of a belt driven water pump isn't really that high. If I was you I would leave it alone. Last thing you want is electrics to die for your water pump and dealing with the ensuing mess.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Good point about loss from mechanical pump being marginal, at the wheels is only about 6kw gain up top, but adds 12Nm across the board - about 2%.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Until the pump has electrical problems and your none the wiser when it fails.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The reason for doing it is mainly business calls around the tropics during summer, when heat-soak zaps performance and economy - and vice versa - such that every 5° drop in IAT increases engine output by 1%.
My goal here is to reduce and normalize IAT by lowering Engine Coolant Temperature from 197° to 176° using independent PWM control of both pump and fan.
If 176°-180° can be maintained then I regain 4% otherwise lost during heat soaked urban driving.
The 5-6% overall improvement in performance and economy, will be welcome on hot stop start urban days.