Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Caprice Not Charging Battery

DUD3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
Hi, I have an '06 WM Caprice 6.0l.

Whilst running the battery doesn't get over 12v. Drops down to even 11.2v if I load the battery up.

Then slowly goes flat whist driving until it gives up and warning lights come on and the car shuts down.

Then it starts all over again, Either charge the battery or change it to a fully changed battery. Then goes flat whilst driving.

The battery does not drain at all while sitting.

The alternator has been changed, and it has been to Holden and they have no idea what could be wrong with it.

Took it to an auto elec and apparently if he earthed/powered a wire it would trigger the alternator to charge.

In desperate need of help.

Thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
what alternator was fitted make sure its the right one, sounds like you a sensing voltage issue, excitation of the field etc

DUD3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
In the end the wrong alternator was supplied. bought a genuine one. all sorted. thanks

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
I'd be a bit disappointed if your auto elec didn't pick this up, Holdens well? (not dissing some of the good techs they have) this should have been an easy fault find