Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cluster dry joint help

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
Hi guys just wondering if you can help me, my cluster in my WH stato has an issue, everything works on it except speedo, however if i push on cluster speedo works, even wedging cardboard between cluster and surround makes it work.

so what im wanting to do, is this weekend remove from car and check for dry joints and such, im confident in electronics and know my way around a soldering iron. what im wanting to know, is there a way i can test cluster without putting back in car, going for a drive to find it still doesnt work, can i apply power to pins on cluster to get it light up or anything. cheers

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Are you sure the speedo needle isn't binding on the cluster facia.
This can happen if you have removed the needle and then, as you refit it, the needle is pushed on too far.
Putting pressure on the cluster can free it up, as you are making a space between the needle and the facia.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure the speedo needle isn't binding on the cluster facia.
This can happen if you have removed the needle and then, as you refit it, the needle is pushed on too far.
Putting pressure on the cluster can free it up, as you are making a space between the needle and the facia.

um not sure however that does make sense, i did remove the cluster a month or so ago to do a LED conversion, prehaps i did push it on too hard, never thought of that, just presumed because it works on and off it was dry joint. thanks mate i'll check that

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It happened to me after I did a LED change on mine.
Some times good.....other times it would stick at around 60 K's, until I gave the dash a thump.
Just take of the dash fascia surround and the clear plastic cover of the cluster can be removed.
Gently move the needle all the way around the dial and listen for any scraping. Let the needle go and see if it sticks anywhere.
I hope that's all it is for you.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers mate hopefully you're a life saver, tackling it on weekend, will report back :)