Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent help plz

VSCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Series II
hey guys so i have abit of an issue here

went to take my mother shopping for the day, came back after a few hours and started the car. was all fine until i noticed the battery light was staying on, also the air-bag light came on and would stay on for about a min or so then go out for a min then back on etc..

i have no headlights, Can turn on high beams but no main lights, and my instrument cluster lights are about x2 brighter than usual, i'm really concerned and im afraid to drive in case the air bag deploys.

help guys plz

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hi Charlie, it sounds like your alternator might be overcharging. You need someone with a multimeter to come over and test the charging voltage and also AC content. Anything over 15VDC and more than a couple of volts AC is way too much and will cause problems. I don't believe your airbags will go off as the rule of thumb is that in a fault situation it will put on the light and turn the airbags off. But no guarantees in an overvolt situation.

You need to correct this before causing any more damage. I think you'll find your headlights are blown...

VSCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Series II
Hey Tasmaniak, thanks for the quick reply.

i'll ask one of my mates to pop around with a metre and check it, if its over charging then would the best course would be the replace the alternator? and also headlights, is there anything i could possibly need to replace..

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
No probs buddy. The problem will lie at the alternator if it's overcharging (I'm about 99% sure) I don't recall on the VS Ecotec but some alternators allow you to change over the regulator..which will be the actual part thats failed. Your course of action is up to you... change the reg with a new or second hand one or just change the alternator with a new or second hand one. Depending on your skill level and where the reg is located, this may be determine your course of action.

Please

Please

Please

Please

Remember to disconnect the battery after testing but before working on the alternator.

VSCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Series II
no worries mate, i'll let you know how it goes, i'll have to do it tomorrow.

Talk soon and thank you very much for you help :)

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
autobarn will do a free battery and alternator charging test for free if you ask....this will give u an exact readout of whats going on....my bets are on the reg also as Tas also suggested

VSCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Series II
alright, update, replaced the alt with a reco and jump started. once she was going let it off the jumpers and just dropped volts straight away. so i'm going to recharge the battery overnight and see what happens tomorrow.

Fingers Crossed

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
no, no, no, no if the alternator was over charging the battery it could be toast, and badly damaged.

I suggest getting it out of the car, don't charge it and replace it.

Please, please, please read this before you charge a potentially damaged battery!

VSCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Series II
we havint done anything yet, was literally about to but seen this message. (cheers btw) i have got another alternator, its a second hand one.

i have a centery battery, something tells me i cant swap it out under warranty haha (not even a year old)

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
why cant you swap it out under warranty? nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Just don't tell them your alternator snuffed it.