Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 Statesman/Caprice interior lights stay on

Terrystatesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Caprice (WK Statesman)
Hi guys.

Hope someone can shed a light on this problem.

My car is actually a 2004 Chevrolet Caprice LTZ, 5.7Ltr V8

When the weather is really hot, when I unlock the car with the remote, the interior lights stay on all the time. If I lock the doors after getting in the car, the interior lights go off after around 20 seconds, as long as I do not put the key in the ignition switch! After the lights go off though, when I put the key in the ignition switch, they come back on again! If I put the key in the ignition switch straight away, the lights stay on permanently whilst driving, when they are meant to go out as soon as the key is inserted.

I suspect that it is something to do with one of the relays in the BCM (Body Control Module) sticking when hot? But which one?

The only info I have found is the "common" problem of the indicator lights staying on after locking the car, and that can be fixed by replacing the one relay in the BCM. But my indicators flash as normal. It is only the interior lights (all of them) that stay on.

Does anyone know which relay is the dome light delay timer relay in the BCM. I suspect that it is the one beside the indicator relay (the bigger one)?

I am not in a position to have this diagnosed, as nobody here in Oman has a tech2! Of course, that also means that I cannot replace the BCM, as there is no way to programme the replacement BCM. I can get 2nd hand BCM,s, but they are a bit expensive, but if I could find one that has the same relays inside, I would buy one, just for the relay, and replace that relay, (unless someone knows where I can get that suspect relay?). But, given the price of a 2nd hand BCM, not knowing if that relay is what is causing the problem, is a bit of a monetary risk, so I have come on here to see if anyone has any knowledge of this problem?

The wiring diagrams I have found are for the WH Statesman/Caprice, but the colour coding for the wires to the BCM do not match the actual car, so diagnosis would be almost impossible! I had wanted to cut either the dome light on signal wire, or the door jam input wire, in the hope that without that signal, the BCM will not have control of the interior lights! What I mean is to try and isolate the BCM from controlling the interior lights?

As things stand, I have removed the interior lights fuse.

Here is a photo of the BCM that I pulled of the internet. I think the interior lights delay timer is the bigger one JQC-16FV?

View attachment BCM.pdf

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Terry

Terrystatesman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chevrolet Caprice (WK Statesman)
Hi.

As is usual, nobody answers to anything on here! A bit of a waste of time I guess!

I have posted 4 times on here, and never got any answers, or anyone willing to try and help out!

Is this still an active site?

For what it is worth, that relay that I pointed out has nothing to do with the interior lights, or a timer relay? I did find out that it is not a timer relay! An internet search showed that it was not a delay relay!

I did however find out that the smaller relay, namely the one closest to the top of the pcb, had nothing to do with the interior lights! Umm! It did stop the drivers door window from working though, when removed, and it messed up the a/c from directing the airflow to the upper ducts!! That is not what the wiring diagram shows though? One relay, obviously not a timer relay, that controls both the drivers door window and the a/c flow?

C'mon you gurus! You must know something!

HELP!

Rgds.

Terry

As things stand, I have put a tye wrap over that relay, and got the drivers door window working, but how can the exact same relay effect the a/c?

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
clearly, not but since it will make you feel better I'll spam your post.