Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore will only start if ignition on for 5 minutes first

revhedz

Reaction score
Members Ride
one
I had a problem with my vt not starting & battery going flat, changed fuel pump, new battery & terminals now the car will only start if I put the key in ignition on position first for about 5 minutes. Has anyone heard of a similar problem? I have read if ignition left on for 2 hours then it over rides the immobiliser, but this seems to be a different issue.

**car has automatic transmission, remote can lock and unlock doors so it appears to not have a flat battery**

Last edited:

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
is your key fob flat .

revhedz

Reaction score
Members Ride
one
Key fob doesn't appear to be flat, it can lock and unlock the doors

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
is it your neutral switch on the shift , try starting in park that's if its a auto, clean your contact plate around the key surround .

revhedz

Reaction score
Members Ride
one
Thanks for your replies, it is automatic transmission, will only start in park anyway. Don't think it is the contact plates, as the car will eventually start after waiting 5 minutes with the ignition on reds.

revhedz

Reaction score
Members Ride
one
Will a bad crank angle sensor cause this problem? Once the car does start, it doesn't cut out at all while I drive it.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
is it your neutral switch on the shift , try starting in park that's if its a auto, clean your contact plate around the key surround .

As opposed to reverse?

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
when you put key in are you turning key over straight away to start? seems to me your not giving enough time for the fuel pump
to pump fuel up . I normally put key over and turn to the lights come on then give about 3 to 5 seconds before starting. starts all
the time for me..

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
But if the fuel system was leaking down when the engine is off, it would be hard to start every time. Would not explain why it runs ok after 5 minutes.