Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Change what lights flash with central locking

Spawn-8-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman
ive had a quick look around this site and some google searching with no luck. ultimately i want to add my spotlights to the central locking so they all flash with the indicators when i lock and unlock the ute. surely someone somewhere has wanted to do the same or there's someone who knows how to wire this in. im quite handy with electronics however i don't want to tap into the wrong wire in the BCM and completely screw over my entire ute.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You would need to find the wires from the Bcm that operate the flash and then cut them, wire in your spotlight and then join them back together with a diode to prevent your spotlights flashing each time you use your indicators.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Good idea Tas.
But might the extra current draw, overload the BCM relay circuit?

Seeing as that relay is only used as visual conformation that the immobiliser is on/off,
it might only be a low amperage relay and not be capable of handling the extra current draw.

You could find the wire (Blue I think), splice a wire into it and have that fire a separate relay to activate your lights.
That way, the only extra load on the BCM's relay is that external relay and the spot lights wont come on when you uses your indicators either.

Your thoughts Tas?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Spotties should be on a relay anyway.
The trigger wire on the relay should be wired to the BCM flash output wire (with diode) like Tas suggested.

Also, you could use a relay to "trigger" the spotties when the indicators see power, but then you would need a way to stop them from flashing when using the vehicles indicators normally....

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Yep, you're both right. Reality is the output from the BCM will most likely be a positive pulse. The relay for spotlights are quite possibly negative triggered. If my thoughts are correct on those two observations, you'd still need an extra relay to swap the positive pulse to a negative pulse.

By cutting the output wire and adding a diode into the equation, you would effectively eliminate the problem of the indicators flashing under normal operation.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Nek minute,
OP locks car and 100 lights flash inside, outside and all around the car. Just so everyone 5 suburbs over can tell.

Just need to get ahold of the key, instant rave party.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Lol, awesome!

We used to handle all the police vehicles in Anchorage Alaska. One of buddies was from the Sheriffs Office and brought his Crown Vic in for some work. I couldn't resist the urge to wire in the unlock and lock pulses to the siren/lights.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
It is a positive pulse from the BCM, as the indicators on the VZ are positively switched.

To the OP.
Is this all about wiring in after market spot lights, or the the factory ones?

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
I've seen this done before on factory fog lights, doesn't look too bad.
I wouldn't recommend this mod though, especially on any spotlights as it would still be illegal use of Fog/Driving Lights. (Source)

Factory lights you could probably get away with, but any Police officer that catches a spotlight flash to the eyes probably won't be too happy :cops::banstick:

Last edited:

nodscars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY gen3
Use a second relay to power up the spotties , using one of the external blinkers + as the switch, you will need diodes inline to prevent backfeed when you turn spotties on, think this should work fine !!