Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Tail light swap(into a G8) Fast flash confusion..

Peterg22000

Canadian member
Reaction score
Website
www.ontariog8club.com
Members Ride
Poniac G8 GT(VE SS)
Hi guys,

I'm doing an HSV tail light swap into my G8 and was wondering if anyone here has experience with this.
The lights I got used off eBay (I believe from another base VE that did this swap as well) had the lights, module, top cap, and a small pigtail harness with a resistor in it that seemingly has no purpose(pictured)... I assumed that was to correct the fast flash, but it does not. In fact everything works the same with or without the pigtail in place.

I've tested the resistance on the resistor and it came to .389Ω which is what I was told this swap needed before I even started all the work.

Anyone know that its meant for? (since it apparently does sweet F*** all) Might I be wiring something wrong?
20140512_191711_zpsphmz5alq.jpg

20140512_191724_zpstufvphxh.jpg

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey mate, not too sure what that resistor is for. It's nowhere near big enough for a load resistor. Further to that, the load resistor has to go between the earth and the indicator wire. Earth is Black/white but I don't recall what indicator is.

I'd wonder if that resistor is used to pull on the brake lights at reduced voltage too match the tail lights.

Peterg22000

Canadian member
Reaction score
Website
www.ontariog8club.com
Members Ride
Poniac G8 GT(VE SS)
Hey mate, not too sure what that resistor is for. It's nowhere near big enough for a load resistor. Further to that, the load resistor has to go between the earth and the indicator wire. Earth is Black/white but I don't recall what indicator is.

I'd wonder if that resistor is used to pull on the brake lights at reduced voltage too match the tail lights.

the indicator wire is the yellow with black tracer. the solid yellow that's tapped into here is as I understand an unused, so I'm baffled as to why whoever made this would have done it like that.

I will tomorrow try playing with the pinning of the wire(until I get the Larger load resistors) and make the solid yellow the temp earth wire just to see if it fixes it.

Cheers Mate.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
No probes buddy.

I miss my time in Canuckistan.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
that is the first mod for fixing the fast flashing, unless the module is the cause, if u have two of the looms u can join them together on the side that flashes fast to see if the extra load works, remember they are led's not globes and usually u only need enough resistance in the circuit to stop the fast flashing because of a faulty led which is stuff all load, if the resistors dont work u may have other issues...

Peterg22000

Canadian member
Reaction score
Website
www.ontariog8club.com
Members Ride
Poniac G8 GT(VE SS)
I'm just curious as to what the "PeterG Lowergrill mod" is! :D

That's an old thing (Sig is way outta date here)
But the link below is what it is. It's a G8 thing that only applies to the base/GT bar on the G8(not the GXP)
I had come up with the idea and was the first to do it, prior people where drilling holes in the splash liner.

My version of the LP mod...