Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v6 alternator issue

wantvpss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs V6 wagon
Hi all ive purchased a vr v6 commodore wagon. Its had a short of somesort as the wire going to alternator burnt and the o ring electrical joiner broke away. It was replaced
But the alternator now wont charge the battery and battery obviously goes flat. Been told I should replace the wire but how much do I replace. Please help

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
get an auto elect to do it , don't play around with things you don't no.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
replacing the wire isn't going to fix the problem , why did it burn out that's what need doing first or u have another burnt wire . just go and get another alternator and replace the wire.

wantvpss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs V6 wagon
HI I have bought another alternator and thought about getting an auto elec to do the job but thinking its only one wire. plus the car not worth spending heaps on. I bought it cheap just to fix and drive. not having a lot of spare cash. I understand going the cheap is not always good but its all I can do. I already stated pulling burnt wire and the burnt area only seems to be bout 2 inches long, so my thought was just the fitting touched the motor and caused the problem?
was gonna cut bout 6 to 10 inches of the wire and replace.

Any other ideas on my thoughts

oldboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5lt Greg Norman
Strip the wire back until it's all clean and extend it to fit and you will be good to go.