Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

alternator light for L98 VK

davemoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
Hi,
Hope someone can help or has done this before. I have VK with L98 using factory E38 ecm. Trying to work out wiring for my alternator light on dash. The alternator has a B positive wire and two other wires witch go straight to the ecm. Everthing working and charging o.k. just want to run original light in dash.

Dave

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When I put the LS1 in the VC, I ran the original alternator harness off the 308 and spliced it into the alternator plug. B+ is the thick one to the battery, the brown I think was the dash light. I don't think I ran any alternator wires to the PCM at all. The battery light lights up and the voltage gauge works as it's an SL/E dash.

davemoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
Thanks for the reply, but LS1 run different ecm and different alternator wiring setup. Have found info for Ls1 but not for LS2, L98 etc.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
I'm pretty sure you will find the alternator light does not have a specific wire, but is controlled over the CAN Bus.

Unsure if the tune can be configured to give you a direct signal out of the ECU.

davemoni

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
Yes I could not work it out. Looking at schematics seems to be controlled like you say via canbus from the dash module. I had to take the alternator off today so I pulled it apart and soldered a wire onto one of the phases. This gives me an AC voltage output when the alternator is running. Will use this via a relay to switch the dash light.

Dave