Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I have a v6 1999 Vs commodore ute and it has recently been playing up. with the batte

Vscommodore99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Hey guys as I said I've had this problem where I'd go to put the car in ignition and then try to click it over and it doesnt, i hear one click (like the battery is dead) and I lost all power (almost like a short) i had also had a problem where there was a little red wire (coming from the positive terminal) come off, so i wired it on the best I could (by placing the wires back in the clamp and tightening with pliers) and cleaned the battery terminals, tightened them and the car started. now heres where it gets tricky, after that happened I now have (on ignition) a dim battery light (like very dim) i read somewhere that that light is the alternator agitator and without that warning light the alternator wont charge? im just a bit worried, I dont have a lot of money to spend on it (being that im in high school) but just hoping for some tips, cheers

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
ok mate u need to test the alternator and battery , do you have a multimeter if not u can pick up one for under 20 smackers also check your earth cable. check the amp output of the alternator while engine running, check ya battery after sitting for a bit see what the volts are . or see if autobarn or someone will check it for you.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Seeing as it only happened after you reconnected that wire,
I'd check, re check and then check again that, that little red wire is making a secure contact with the battery.
It may look like it is, but it's not always the case.
Tightening a nut and/or a bolt with pliers, is not really tightening.

Vscommodore99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Just tightened the bolt (on the positive terminal) that tightens the thin red wire onto the positive plug and the dash light seems to be working properly (e.g the light is brighter) I just have to remember one thing, everything electrical in a car has to be tightened. Cheers.