Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Caprice - WEIRD Electrical Issues... Please help, it's driving me crazy...

RollinCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II 5.7L Caprice
Hey guys,

First issue - So as stated I have a WH Caprice 5.7L. Over the past month or so, it has been intermittently doing this weird thing were I'll be driving and all the interior electrics will turn off. The car still drives normally, accelerates and everything (although feels a tiny bit sluggish) while the interior electrics are all off. By this I mean stereo completely off, cluster off (all gauges reading 0 as if the car is off), then all of a sudden all the dash warning lights come on as if the car has just been started, then it will happen again and again and again. It's absolutely frustrating the hell out of me.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause only the interior electrics to turn off, but not the car itself, and not the headlights or taillights. This problem occurs at any and all times of the day/night/hot/cold, it doesn't discriminate.

The problem started out only happening once or twice a trip for a second at a time, but now it is almost every minute of the trip and sometimes for 30 seconds or more at a time.

Please help!!!

Second issue - When my headlights are off, my brake lights work normal (both come one when brake pedal depressed). However when my headlights are on, the taillights are on as per normal, however when I push the brake pedal the right taillight turn off completely, and only the left brake light lights up... Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks,
Amanda

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Maybe an alternator problem. What is the voltage at the battery with the engine running? Check with multimeter.
The other problem could be a bad earth or a broken filament in brake/tail light globe arcing across the the other filament, although I don't know whether that would affect both globes in the right tail light (there being 2 globes in each tail light)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hi Amanda, I think you need to check to earth point under your dash or the fusible links in the engine bay.

As for your tail light problem. Have you tried replacing the globes yet?

RollinCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II 5.7L Caprice
Thanks, I'll check the voltage at the battery as well as the earth points and fusible links tomorrow.

As for the brake lights, I have replaced all 4 globes, re-wired both taillight looms completely and then replaced the left side as one of the globe holders was broken and I thought that may have something to do with it but still no luck. It's really weird, because it's not like the brake lights don't work because they during the day, it's only when the headlights are on that there is a problem. I'm not 100% sure how brake/tail lights wiring works so I'm not really sure what wires to test etc. does anyone know exactly how it works?

Thanks