Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX V6 Battery light after jump start crossover

Adrian L.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL Sedan
Hi everyone, I have a problem with my brothers VX V6, My sister in law decided to give her neighbour a jump start and the neighbour connected the jump leads around the wrong way, The battery light is now on permanently and the battery died. I tested the output of the alternator and she was putting out 9.5 volts. I charged the battery and replaced the Alternator and now am getting a charge of between 13.5 - 14.5 volts which I presume is in the good range. The problem is the battery light is still on. I thought it would be because the battery has been dickey lately and I connected via jumper leads my car battery but still the light is on. I don't think the car is running of the battery as the alternator is putting out a charge but when I dis connect the battery from the terminals the car stops ?

What else could have gone wrong here ? I am at a loss. I thought maybe the BCM has had a spike and is cactus but not sure.

Cheers.

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
When you hook up jumper leads the wrong way, all sorts of problems can occur. If the battery light is on, it usually means the circuit is shorted to earth. That's how charge lights work, the circuit is shorted to earth with the reds on and, is open after start up. I guess it wont hurt to check all your fuses though Cheers

Adrian L.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL Sedan
Thank you for the reply Chris, Yes I agree all sorts of problems can occur, I can't believe the idiot done it, He just went the full retard, and now has wiped his hands of it and left me to pick up the pieces. I have checked all fuses and all appear to be fine, Not sure if there is a relay in there somewhere as the bloody sticker that has been removed from the inside of the fusebox inside the engine bay.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
fusecover.jpg

mate will they guy pay to fix it . I say it stuffed your regulator that's why it needed replacing .

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
I really think you need to do a scan to find the problems .
Maybe it needs cleared by tech2 scan.

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Thank you for the reply Chris, Yes I agree all sorts of problems can occur, I can't believe the idiot done it, He just went the full retard, and now has wiped his hands of it and left me to pick up the pieces. I have checked all fuses and all appear to be fine, Not sure if there is a relay in there somewhere as the bloody sticker that has been removed from the inside of the fusebox inside the engine bay.
If all fuses are ok, the circuit that supplies the battery light is shorted to earth by the jumpstart. Failing all else though, you need to by pass the circuit from the back of the alternator back to your dash light. The battery light can only stay on for one reason - it's receiving an earth source from somewhere other than the back of the alternator. Bearing in mind, the circuit does have minor resistance through the battery light bulb. To get really technical, remove the wiring plug at the back of the alternator and do a continuity check to earth.

Last edited:

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Check the voltage sense wire at the battery.

Off the positive terminal, about 3 inches down there is a plug. Between this plug and the battery is a fusible link. Check for power at the plug.

Adrian L.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL Sedan
Thanks, I checked the fuses and all are fine, I think the thing is ok but what a mess, No he Is telling me he won't pay as connecting the jump leads in reverse will not do any damage, The guy is a fool,. Chris I will give it a go tomorrow with the multi metre, problem for me is time, I work 6 days a week. just checked, Neg terminal has just the earth wire, Positive terminal has heavy gauge wire to starter motor, heavy gauge to the fuse box in engine bay and a small white wire (not a fusible link) which runs right down the length of the cable into the firewall. Might be a job for Mr Auto elec...

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Thanks, I checked the fuses and all are fine, I think the thing is ok but what a mess, No he Is telling me he won't pay as connecting the jump leads in reverse will not do any damage, The guy is a fool,. Chris I will give it a go tomorrow with the multi metre, problem for me is time, I work 6 days a week. just checked, Neg terminal has just the earth wire, Positive terminal has heavy gauge wire to starter motor, heavy gauge to the fuse box in engine bay and a small white wire (not a fusible link) which runs right down the length of the cable into the firewall. Might be a job for Mr Auto elec...
If the alternator is pumping out around 14 V, don't panic, its charging the battery ok. Cheers

Adrian L.

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL Sedan
I thought it would be ok, I think my only grip is the prick is not admitting he has done any wrong. The light can stay on along with the airbag light ;)