Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

battery drain

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hey

ive got a problem with my v6 vr commodore, when ever i have accessories on (listening to radio etc) for around 10mins and up, my battery goes nearly dead flat,

ive had the battery checked and they said its fine, i took my sub and amp out, and ive hooked up a switch that turn the interior illumination off, but it still does it.

the only thing im aware of being on at 'acc' is the head unit now, any sugestions?

thanks in advance

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Mine does similar things and it's the battery.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Oh ok, well mine is 5 years. heh.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
wow lol, i checked the water level, seemed low put a little bit more in, hope i dont need a new one already :(

emmtee83

Reaction score
Members Ride
'84 VH SLE
i'd say it's your alternator. I had a VH SL/E that did the same. Only ever noticed it at night.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
alternator is a reconditioned one from 5mths ago aswell :)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Have you considered a deep cycle battery. Jaycar sell terminals that show you the current drain through you car. This might give you an idea of what accessories take how much power.

beegee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive 5l 5speed
with the ignition switch on use an inductive clamp meter around the main batt positive cable. Note the discharge current and remove the acc fuses from the interior fuse block one by one, keeping an eye on the current drain. this should tell you where the power is going, for example if you had a faulty cigggy lighter socket, when you pull out the fuse the drain on the clamp meter will drop. you could also use a multimeter an amps mode but you need to dis-connect the positive batt cable and put one meter lead on the pos batt post and the other lead on the pos batt cable.