Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 47....18x Reference Signal Missing

mal62

VR Going Wild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5 Speed Wagon & VS Auto Wagon & 98 VS Statesman
I just did a diagnositic on my VS V6 Commodore and i got a code 47, i have been able to find out what the code means but thats all,,,, does anybody know how to fix this,,,is it a sensor or something and wheres it located, any help appreciated

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
mal62 said:
I just did a diagnositic on my VS V6 Commodore and i got a code 47, i have been able to find out what the code means but thats all,,,, does anybody know how to fix this,,,is it a sensor or something and wheres it located, any help appreciated

Code 47 is Crank Angle Reference Signal Missing, basically your crank angle sensor or DFI module has packed it in. Has your car been stalling of late, or been hard to start? When the CAS fails, the engine will stall, and may not start again.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago in my VS V6, got Holden to change over the sensor, and it has been fine since. Cost is about $85 for the sensor itself, which is located behind the harmonic balancer (the big pulley at the bottom of the engine) and about $40 to $50 in labour costs.

Hope this helps!

lukey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore v6
code 47

what is the DFI module
:thumbsup:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
what is the DFI module

The DFI module is what the coil packs clip into. It's linked up with the CAS and coils to produce a spark at the right time.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
what is the DFI module

lukey89 if you do have this error code start with the CAS. Very common. DFI module is fairly reliable.

Ashwin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore Acclaim II Series
The guy who serviced my car (Commmodore Acclaim V6 II Series) with the same problem said it will cost me 350 + labour to do this...where can I get it done for the amount
you paid, that's more than half the amount.It plays up probably 3 -4 times a month the mechanic asked me to pour water in the area of the big pulley and this helps to start the
car. But I'd rather have it fixed. Help much appreciated

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
The guy who serviced my car (Commmodore Acclaim V6 II Series) with the same problem said it will cost me 350 + labour to do this...where can I get it done for the amount
you paid, that's more than half the amount.It plays up probably 3 -4 times a month the mechanic asked me to pour water in the area of the big pulley and this helps to start the
car. But I'd rather have it fixed. Help much appreciated

Wow... Bit of an old thread here but anyway....

Find another mechanic is the short answer.

A genuine CAS from Holden's cost me about $90 for the part and about $140 or so to have it installed, granted it was a few years ago, but it would still be worthwhile ringing a couple of service departments up to get a quote.