Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternator Problem

S

Stiks666

Hi i'm Stiks and i'm new to the forum.

My friends vn has just had a new series 1 motor put in, now the alternator is not charging the battery. A new alternator was fitted today and it still has the same problem.

Cheers,

Any help will be appriciated

ascension24

Reaction score
Get a multimeter, if you dont have one you can buy one for about 10 dollars from jay car or dicksmiths, will do the job perfectly.

Start the car and measure the current across the battery, if it reads round 12 then somethings wrong, if it reads 14+ then everything is working fine.

Now find the alternator, and put the positive from the meter on the alternator and the negative from the meter on a ground. (any exposed chassis part)

If it reads still reads 12 with the car on then there something is wrong with the alternator.

Is the alternator spinning? are the brushes okai?

How do you know the alternator isnt working? does the light come on?

Take it back to the person who installed the alternator and tell them it doesnt work.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Test with the multimeter the output post on the alternator. If it doesn't read above +14v then it is faulty. Check the wire from the alternator to the battery and make sure there isn't a break in the line or any corrosion on connectors. I replaced my lead once because a connector along the line was corroded.

ad45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon S2
hows it goin

g'day mate take it back to where you got it from, if its not working its obviously not installed correctly, if its brand new it should work, if its second hand check the brushes see how much load is on them make sure they are touching the slip rings

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Check that you are getting 12volts on both terminals of the regulator plug with the ignition on and only on one with ignition off. May be the fusable link near the posative terminal.