Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailer Wiring

K

kev and dee

Gidday
I am after some wiring info for my VS II. I have the standard towing pack but I want to use the auxialliary power through the trailer plug. Apparently the standard trailer wiring doesn't wire up the aux power.
Anyone set this thing up??

Cheers

Kev

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
If the power load is not great wire the Aux feed via pin 2 on the trailer plug. Pin 2 is for reverse lights which very few trailers have. If you use the other spare pin (#5) then you may end up skull dragging the next large trailer you have hitched that has electrical brakes.

7 pins

1 - yellow - left turn
2 - black - reverse / aux
3 - white - earth
4 - green - right turn
5 - blue - aux trailer brake (not stop lights)
6 - red - stop lights
7 - brown - park lights

6 pin

1 - brown - park lights
2 - yellow - left turn
3 - green - right turn
4 - red - stop lights
5 - blue - aux curcuit
6 - white - earth

If your power requirements are over about 15 amps use a seperate plug for the aux power and earth, I find that the anderson plugs are really good.

Hope this helps regards GUY.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
speaking of trailers i was towing one a few weeks ago with my vs
and when i turned the lights on the left indicator didnt work could that just be the extension connector the trailer place gave me or would that be a problem with the trailer plug that i have.

not really a problem as i decided not to tow anymore trailers as they chew the fuel at high speed.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Get yourself a test light, yes even a cheap $2 one, connect the aligator clip to the towbar and open the trailer plug lid. Turn the indicators on and probe the pins. If it lights up then the problem was with the trailer or lead, If it does not then you have a problem with your car. (check you have a good earth by turning on the park lights and check it the same way (usualy the centre pin on a 7 pin round) if it does not light up try a different spot for the aligator clip).

Hope this helps, kind regards Guy.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
thanks gsmrobinson will try that