Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

All warning lights come up

E

eeugene

I have the problem with my Commodore Acclaim 1998.
Actually, it started a few weeks ago. While driving, a few warning lights (ABS, Traction Control, Batteries, Engine and Oil), come on and stay up for some time.
After it was going for few days, air-conditioner stopped working. I went to AC master, he told me that AC fluid and some small detail needs to be replaced. He done it and I got my car back. However, problem with lighting was still there and I found that when Oil light comes on (together with all other lights I have listed above) – air-conditioner does not work, when only other lights come on but Oil stays off AC is working normally.
I went to Holden Dealer service.
First, I’ve been told that my key-reader and remote control needs to be replaced and it will fix all this problem. They did it - problem was still there. They told me that now ABS module needs to be replaced and may be, also, wiring hub (?). Just another few hundreds bucks and they cannot guarantee that will fix initial problem. So, I’ve decided to go to another place (as approach of replacing every car detail until the problem go, looks to me as a quite expensive option). In another place, I’ve been told that problem is very simple to fix - just alternator needs to be replaced (as it gives 11-12V and it should give 13-14V). They replaced alternator and… problem still there. Now they telling me that problem appear to be huge… So far, I’ve paid $500 just for R&D (research & development).
Is any one had such problem before?
It appears that lights go on when engine warms up and off when it cools down. On hot days, they may come on straight away after engine starts and they never go off. AC doesn’t work occasionally.

Thank You for help!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I always thought it was quite common for all new cars dash lights to illuminate on startup for 10 seconds or so. Not all, but alot of stuff came up on all the cars i remember.

Just don't pay anymore money unless they can guarantee their work. Try heaps of different places and don't let them rip you off.

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Let me know if get an awnser to your problem because my old man has a 98 VT Aclaim Wagon with the same problem.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
This is a common failure in commodore. The ABS Module is faulty, when the module faults it causes exactly the symptoms you describe.
When the fault is present the vehicle serial data bus is grounded, this causes all the warning lights to come on, & will stop the AC working as the pressure etc cannot be read because the serial data is down.
replacing the module will fix it. a new module retail is about $650
plus half an hour to fit.

Cheers Rob

V

vick58

I have same problem

After experiencing an almost identical problem with all warning lamps coming on - (even had the aircon regassed because initially I thought it might be an aircon problem) - I have just had my Caprice WH V8 2000 to the auto electrician (after two failed tries at Holden Dealer) where he diagnosed the ABS module to be faulty and needing replacement at a cost of approximately $850.00. I was disappointed as the car has only done 100,000 kays and I thought it would only be a "loose" wire or something and I consider this to be quite a major repair. The weird thing was that Holden couldn't find out the problem after two "looks" at it. Is it possible that they don't know about these sort of "common" problems at the dealer/service level?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
depends on the level of expertise in the workshop.
its a very common thing & shouldnt be too hard to pick up
depending of course on the fault being present when they saw the car, its very hard to fix something if its not broken.
another point would be if the fault isnt there at the time of inspection how much time can they spend checking it?
still in saying that there should have been enough exposure to the problem at all dealers by now to recognise it,
no offense intended to any other dealer staff.

Cheers Rob

N

Nige

Same problem as well...

:mad: Yup, very frustrating!! Its happening to my VT S Series II as well. Warning lights come up (ABS, oil, Air bag, Engine) and the Air-Con stops working, although the Air-con sometimes continues to work when the problem is there. The problem started ocurring at 125,000 k's.
Holden believe it is an ABS module fault. Sound like they are correct from this forum... They advised the cost to replace it is about $800.
Is it possible to buy this part from Holden spare parts or a wrecker and then install it myself or is something that only Holden can do? (i.e. do you need some sort of software/terminal to set it up or do you need to disconnect and bleed ABS lines...etc?)

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Its a Holden job, They need to bleed breaks and a few other things plus you get warrenty if they do it. Worth the monies. This is why I never ticked the ABS box when I brought mine.

G

greg62

Do You Have To Replace The Electrical Part Of The Module Or The Valve Body As You Can Buy Each Half Separately.i Have The Warning Light Problem And Replaced The Electrical Part Of Module[with Wiring Plug Attatched] And The Problem Went Away For 1 Month Now Its Back.as I Got The Unit From A Wrecker[complete]i Still Have The Valve Body Half ,if I Fit This Will It Fix The Problem?

C

clubsport74

wasted money!!!!!

hello to all.. my clubsport vt did the same thing!! Then one night i opened the bonnet and just behind the battery there was something glowing.I got a torch and had a look.It was the earth for a couple of wires!!! Tighened them up the next day and it fix the problem!!!!!!! FOR FREE!!!!! THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO A MATES VT,,,,SAME FIX!!!!!

I hope this helps....please let me know

ps you have to hold the 10mm nut behind the wires,you will see what i mean!!!!!