Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX SS - No Power From Cigarette Lighter

nolim8ts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S1
Hey All,

I recently discovered that the cigarette lighter is not supplying power after trying to connect my TomTom. I have checked the fuse and that is still in tact. I disconnected the power unit and tested the connector but there is no power there. Any suggestions???

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hey All,

I recently discovered that the cigarette lighter is not supplying power after trying to connect my TomTom. I have checked the fuse and that is still in tact. I disconnected the power unit and tested the connector but there is no power there. Any suggestions???

check ALL the fuses under the steering wheel. you should find one of them is blown. If not check the wiring behind the cig lighter socket

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
As above, check the fuses. Wont hurt to check them all. If not you just need to start tracing the wires for a fault, multimeter would be a big help if you know a little about using it.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
By default Holden leaves the fuse for the cigerette lighter/aux out. (its an option)
Open the fuse cover and look at the diagram. (I think its 3rd centre but cant remember)
You may find the fuse isnt there if youve never used the cigerette lighter socket before.

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
My VX SS Chaser had a fuse behind the lighter socket, took me a while to find it. Probably ran the radar or radios.

rcnugget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Exec
also corrosion can be an issue on the centre positive connection

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I had this problem in my VS just yesterday. Took the ashtray out and lifted up the shifter housing, the terminals on the bottom of the lighter socket had somehow been broken off completely. Soldered some wires + terminals onto the socket and attached it to the socket that it had come from inside the housing.

I suppose best thing to do would be check the cig lighter fuse, and if that's fine then check the others. If you still can't find anything wrong, get a lightbulb and solder some wires onto it. Touch one wire to an earthed point and the other to one of the metal brackets the fuse sticks into.
Test both the top and bottom brackets. It should have current to light the bulb from one of the brackets, if you get no light on the bulb from either then you don't have power going to the fuse, there's a break somewhere before that point.

More likely it's the fuse or wires under the socket though.