Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition wire

Dingo29

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb commodore
hi,i need help,:bang: im installing a alarm in my vb commodore,every think is going well so far intill i had to hook up the ignition wire for the ignition.can i hook it to the fuse box where there maybe an ignition fuse? or is there another way?

apoc585

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Maloo
if ur trying to use the immobiliser to cut the ignition then you'll have to get the wire under ur dash
if its just to set off the alarm if it gets started wen the immobiliser hasnt been deavtivated then you can get an ignition cable from anywhere.

Im guessin thats wat ur asking...?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
you'll need to tap into the ignition wire, there should be a bunch of wires under the steering collumn coming from ur ignition barrell, use a test light to find which one is the ignition wire which will light up when the key is in the on position and stays on when u crank the engine, then bare back the insulation on this wire (dont cut it) then solder the wire from ur alarm onto the exposed wire then tape it up

hope that helps

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Try the pink wire on the ignition plug on the steering column. I'm pretty sure that's the normal ignition wire which goes to the coil. The yellow wire is also ignition, but that's only 'live' when the ignition is in the 'start' position, when u turn the key back to 'on' the ignition feed goes through the pink wire I rekon. A test light would be the best way to find out. :thumbsup:

For installing ur alarm/immobiliser, most wires u need will be around the steering column. The fat red wire in the ignition clip is constant 12v, the purple goes to the starter motor (and through the auto safety switch if auto), so that's one immobilisation point u can use, ur ignition as mentioned above, and if u have flasher wires for ur indicators, the indicator loom is also under the steering column....can't remember which ones to splice into, but just use a test light to try all the different wires.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Its easy just to trace the wire back from the +ve of the coil to under the dash and access the wire there.
The wire should be yellow(barring any previous modifications). It will possibly go into a connector on the firewall and then into the cabin. As previously suggested it will form a junction with the pink wire at the ignition switch, which is at the base of the steering column, (there is a rod that goes from the key on the column down to the switch). Its possibly easiest to get to the wire here. You only have to connect the yell wire to your alarm source as it is the only wire going to the coil, this will stop the car getting spark when in the start or run position.

It is important to understand how your ignition isolator works though. It should be just breaking the contact in the circuit. It shouldnt provide its own 12v source for the ignition as the points system in your vb has the voltage reduced when the motor is running(the pink resistance wire)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
For the immobilizer to delete it key head stopped working and my friend has to move it as she is moving out of her house
“Your friend” doesn’t understand that VZ has quite a complex theft deterrent system. Changing one wire won’t do anything to disable the security. Rewire the car all together and you’re getting close.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
For the immobilizer to delete it key head stopped working and my friend has to move it as she is moving out of her house

Is your friend moving because Mark Haydon is getting out and possibly moving back into the area?

For those confused about Mark Haydon comment, he is one of the snowtown killers...He is originally from Smithfield Plains and is being released in about a month

Do some google searching over it... :)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Mark Haydon is getting out
You Crow-eaters like to free voilent criminals, no one worked out the name of the rapist I asked about a while back ,it is back on the street. Hence why Adelaide needs so many churches theres so much sin. Some of the members here went as far as saying that no one cares.

Last edited: