Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced Cluster and Speed Sensor, still won't show speed - only in ALDL

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey all,

Just following up to my previous thread, here's the story so far in easy to read point form:

• Broke ribbon cable on the back, speedo stopped working
  • Soldered cable and it fixed problem
  • Pulled cluster in and out a few times causing soldering to come undone
  • Redid soldering (carelessly) causing the cluster speed signal to short out to the pin next to it (Pulse GND and 2 Pulse or possibly Pulse GND and Right Turn)
  • Speedo doesn't work now, and neither does the speed alert
  • ALDL still showed speed on the notebook computer so figured speed sensor was on it's way out
  • Replaced speed sensor on the transmission with known working part
  • Cluster and speed alert still won't show a speed, but ALDL cable will

Now what I'm wondering is what else could be damaged causing the speed to not make it to the cluster or speed alert considering it works with the ALDL cable, and if anyone knows in detail the path the speed signal goes from the speed sensor to the instrumentation I'm curious to know. Also does the speed alert not work unless the cluster works or do they get their information from the same place? - this is my daily work car and I can't afford to get defected (plus it makes insurance void and is generally dangerous).

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond and for your consideration.

Regards :bow::cry:

Last edited:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Did you replace the cluster? I would be almost certain replacing the cluster will solve your problem. There is a 5V regulator (looks more like a transistor in the wiring diagram) that you have probably burnt out in the cluster. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can probably replace it. Double check fuse 10 isnt blown.

Yes overspeed alert gets the info from the same place, so thats why its not working. If you just want to get it working, get a new cluster from the wreckers (they normally have them pulled out sitting in a pile ready to go), $50 and youre good.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I got a replacement cluster and still no luck :(

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
must be something wrong with the speedo wire connection between the dash and the ECU. on a VS the speedo wiring goes from the sender, to the ECU, to the dash. id be finding the speedo wire on the ECU, and the speedo pin on one of the 3 cluster plugs and using a multimeter to check for continuity. from memory its a purple wire

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Excellent information stocky, thanks! Is that the box in the passenger kick panel or the one under the dash? Definitely need to try it, if there's continuity then it's probably the ECU

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
also, if your aldl is working then that should mean the ecu is working fine? so i would bet its something to do with the connection, or possibly broken wiring on the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
That was the original problem with the first cluster, broken ribbon cable and the soldering was what caused the short that killed it all, new cluster hasn't got the ribbon cable broken (is perfect) and the speed alert doesn't work so my guess is the ecu or the wiring, going to hit it up with the multimeter later tonight or tomorrow and hopefully get a straight answer.

For reference I swapped the ecu in the kick panel with my wifes vs ecu and the speed still didn't show up. Is it possible it's not the ecu but the bcm that processes the speed signal?

Regards

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Used the multimeter to test the continuity and it's there from the ECU connector to the cluster connection and it's a perfect connection. I thought possibly the cluster but the speed alert won't show the speed either, and in any combination (alert in no cluster/cluster in no alert/both cluster and alert in).

I'm at my wits end as for what to do :(