Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ELM327 Diagnostic Cables (OBD2) - Engine Diagnostics - VT,VX,VY,VZ,VE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
USB ELM327 Diagnostic Cable
ELM327CableCDPackage.png

Our ELM327 cables can be purchased directly from our website:
Click HERE to Purchase ELM327 Cable!

What do I use an ELM327 (OBD2) cable for?
OBD2 cables are used to read live engine data and fault codes to provide professional diagnostic capabilities. Our cables are suitable for use with OBD2 compliant software including TouchScan or any of our OBD2 software!

Softwares by us include:
Software on ELM Street (SOE)
SOE_DashScreen_640px.png

Unlock My ECU! (UME)
UME_LS1_Found_KEY_640px.png

•VE Cluster Tool (VCT)
•*More to come

Software by Envyous Customs is either currently for sale,under development or under early beta testing! Please click on the links for more information!

Which vehicles are supported for engine data diagnostics?
OBD2EngineSupportedVehicles.PNG

What comes in the ELM327 Cable Package?
All ELM327 Cables come with:
•USB ELM327 Cable
•Printed Quick Startup Guide
•Custom CD with all required installation files,software and detailed tutorials
Software on ELM Street License

Why purchase from Envyous Customs?
We are a 100% Australian company, All our cables are carefully examined by our manufacture before we receive them. Once received we thoroughly tested our ELM327 cables on multiple vehicles, computers and software's to ensure the cable is working 100% before dispatch.We strictly adhere to our testing procedures to ensure our customers receive only the best from us.
Not all ELM cables are the same! There are 1000's of horror stories, or bad experiences of people purchasing an ebay $6 special to receive a cable that does not work, does not connect, or keeps dropping out! We guarantee our ELM327 cables work 100% from within Australia to prevent such frustrating experiences!

Most importantly, all ELM327 purchases from us receive a free license to our Holden diagnostic software "Software on ELM Street" which is the ONLY Holden dedicated software available to read all Holden specific fault codes and Holden specific engine data!

What else can I do with an ELM327 cable?
Currently, the ELM327 main purpose is to provide professional diagnostic capabilities utilizing our diagnostic software. But we also have another software called "Unlock My ECU" which is used for unlocking tuner locked ECU's to allow read/writing a tune in a previously locked ECU!.

"Software on ELM Street" (SOE) is our Engine AND Transmission diagnostic software.

"Unlock My ECU!" (UME) is our ECU unlocking software, capable of unlocking ALL tuner locked ECUs!

What to do if you get stuck or confused getting setup?
Customer service and quick support is something Envyous Customs prides itself on!
If you have any questions, problems or just want to know more about OBD2 please send us an email! We will answer back as soon as possible and help where possible!
Please contact directly at: [email protected]

Checkout the diagnostic software in Action from our Youtube videos below!
Software on ELM Street Demonstration and Setup
[YOUTUBE]xYfLMOc4B0w[/YOUTUBE]

Unlock My ECU! (UME) - Unlock Tuner Locked ECU
[YOUTUBE]FQg0G4p-onY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Some answer to common questions for the ELM327 cable:

It cannot be used for tuning any OBD2 Holden commodores! Its main purpose is for engine diagnostics!
And yes our ELMs come with a copy of SOE for engine data and fault code readings.

Feel free to ask questions! I will answer as soon as I can!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
There is now over 280+ users on SOE!
If you havent already, check out the youtube videos to see what SOE is all about.

New promotion is up for the JustCommodore community only! Enter JustComm10 to receiver a 10% discount on SOE!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Software on ELM Street (SOE) has had a MAJOR update, and now supports more engine data, more fault codes and now supports Transmission data as well!

Not only that, it also now supports save/load/replay engine data! Allowing for fine control over replaying your live engine information to identify intermittent issues, track day performances and much more!

Remember, All of our ELM327 cable purchases come with a license for Software on ELM street!

Checkout the new live demonstration on a VE SS LS2 V8!
[YOUTUBE]xYfLMOc4B0w[/YOUTUBE]

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Do you do anything to read the fault codes of a S1 AU Falcon? Seems they use an ODB2 connection but not CAN?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Do you do anything to read the fault codes of a S1 AU Falcon? Seems they use an ODB2 connection but not CAN?

They do use OBD2 connection, and to be precise it is actually PWM from what I understand.
Unfortunately none of my software is suitable for Fords, although they are on the hitlist on as I have a range of Ford ecu's here to develop with. :beer chug:

I don't expect to start development on the Ford stuff for a while as I have my hands full with 15+ Holden related projects.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
It appears this does not have wireless or Bluetooth connectivity, nor an associated iPhone or Android app, only a USB cable. I saw an OBD2 device on Ebay that was wireless and could view my engine diagnostic on my smartphone (Android) and they cost much less. So I don't know whether yours is any better than the ones I saw on Ebay.

ELM327 Obdii OBD2 Wifi CAR Diagnostic Wireless Scanner Tool IOS Iphone Ipad Ipod | eBay

Rogan, Wireless/bluetooth connectivity is really only designed for iphone/andoid applications. I have not made any Iphone/android applications so not sure why you are implying I need to supply one? My software also does not support WIFI devices yet either. I have not implied that my diagnostic software or tools can be used on these devices!
In fact, my pograms are designed for windows PC only using a USB device as USB is the only real reliable connection to read so much data so quickly.

Also just to note, that apps on the app store can only read generic engine data such as engine rpm, speed ect. They dont read Holden specific engine data such as oil pressure, transmission temperature ect. They also cant read Holden specific fault codes either.

Our diagnostic cables come 100% tested to work on Holden commodores, and are tested on our Holden dedicated diagnostic application "Software on ELM Street" which can read Holden engine data and Holden fault codes. Also note that all of our ELM cables come with a copy of our SOE application (NOT an iphone or android app!).

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Rogan, Wireless/bluetooth connectivity is really only designed for iphone/andoid applications. I have not made any Iphone/android applications so not sure why you are implying I need to supply one?

Because it would be more convenient and easier? You would have a wider market for your product? Just two things that come to top of my mind. Having a laptop in the car is just inconvenient. Unless your devices is supposed to be used stationary or in a workshop.

My software also does not support WIFI devices yet either. I have not implied that my diagnostic software or tools can be used on these devices!
OK I never said you did. Just asking.

In fact, my pograms are designed for windows PC only using a USB device as USB is the only real reliable connection to read so much data so quickly.
Why would Wi-Fi not be able to read the data so quickly or BT for that matter? BT 3.0 can read data at 24 mbits/s which surely would be fast enough to read the data that comes from an engine. My Wi-Fi at home reads at 1 gb/s (AC) I don't know where you are getting your facts from.

Also just to note, that apps on the app store can only read generic engine data such as engine rpm, speed ect. They dont read Holden specific engine data such as oil pressure, transmission temperature ect. They also cant read Holden specific fault codes either.

I don't think I mentioned the App Store, I gave an Ebay link, anyway this device does also read Holden Error codes Australian ScanGauge Sales and Support – Ample Outdoors so why is yours any better? This one detects trouble codes as well

ScanGaugeII - The Ample Outdoors Diagnostic Trouble Code Reference Library

Our diagnostic cables come 100% tested to work on Holden commodores

OK but I am a bit confused when you say cable as there more to your device than just a cable from the photo.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Because it would be more convenient and easier? You would have a wider market for your product? Just two things that come to top of my mind. Having a laptop in the car is just inconvenient. Unless your devices is supposed to be used stationary or in a workshop.
I only develop on PC's as this is what Iv learnt to do. Developing on smart phones compresses you to a small screen. Id rather the ability to expand and utlize a computers abilities. An issue just off the top of my head, Something as simple as saving and loading a diagnostic session becomes problematic on a mobile.

I dont see how a laptop couldn't be used, pop it on the passenger seat and away you go?

Why would Wi-Fi not be able to read the data so quickly or BT for that matter? BT 3.0 can read data at 24 mbits/s which surely would be fast enough to read the data that comes from an engine. My Wi-Fi at home reads at 1 gb/s (AC) I don't know where you are getting your facts from.
Your reading out perfect condition statistics. Have you thought of where the connection will bottleneck? How efficient is the coding? Does the actual cable not support up to those speeds? Can a mobile keep up? How do these devices actually communicate? If you had ever programmed anything you would be asking these questions as well.
I can tell you now that the bluetooth devices you find on Ebay completely fault out trying to change the speed from the default 9600bits/s. This is a MASSIVE restriction.

WIFI does not clock up to those speeds on your phone, again, you need to think of the "bottleneck", of course it will be the mobile that will hit its limitations. Or even how efficient the coding is to communicate with the device which is generally a major restriction there.
I simply dont get any of these problems with a USB device. But, I already have basic support for the MX WIFI device which will be released in future updates.

If you prefer wifi/bluetooth, thats fine and your choice. But I currently dont support these devices, plain and simple :beer chug:

I don't think I mentioned the App Store, I gave an Ebay link, anyway this device does also read Holden Error codes Australian ScanGauge Sales and Support – Ample Outdoors so why is yours any better? This one detects trouble codes as well

ScanGaugeII - The Ample Outdoors Diagnostic Trouble Code Reference Library
The Ebay link refers to IOS/Anrdoid apps...
Plus theres only one.. maybe two applications on PC available that support WIFI devices so it is impleid to be used on mobiles.

Have you tested that software/device before? Do you know that it actually reads Holden specific fault codes? Or does it ONLY read generic faults? There is a difference between displaying a large list of fault codes and actually having the ability to read them out.
I can tell you now out of ALL of the software I could find on the web, none of them could actually read Holden specific fault codes in a CAN Bus vehicles (Such as your VF), they can only read GENERIC fault codes.

When I say generic, all manufactures MUST have a specific range of generic faults that are accessed using a extremely basic command, literally all it is on an ELM is sending "04".
Now, to read out "Holden specific" faults, this is not accessed through the same command, and requires different handling to obtain all the codes. I have multiple ECU's on the bench here with permanent faults set off, and no software that I have found can read their Holden specific trouble codes. But, your more then to provide proof of such? An example here is TouchScan, supports Holdens but cant read Holden specific fault codes, only the generic ones.

The only exception is on LS1 vehicles (VPW) where I have found a couple programs which do infact read out Holden codes/engine data correctly.

SOE uses the factory way of obtaining all of its diagnostic fault codes and engine/transmission information. Your disclosed devices you have linked to only use SAE engine data (And only engine) which is limited to about 1-9 engine data depending on what the vehicle supports. This is the generic engine information that ALL vehicles must have but again, it is not the Holden specific information (Eg. Barometric pressure, oil pressure, knock sensors ect).

SOE also supports Transmission data which.. to my knowledge, no other application current does? Especially the Holden specific PID's for transmission data. Diagnostic sessions can be replayed so if an intermittent fault is occurring, you can capture the issue and try work out what sensor was going wacky!

The only reason I started developing SOE was because of all the 'false' claims on the internet saying they support Holdens, when really, they only support the default generic information found on every OBD2 complaint vehicle. After trying to read out faults on a mates VZ V6, and literally no software was able to retrieve it, I begun reverse engineering to identify the various routines.

OK but I am a bit confused when you say cable as there more to your device than just a cable from the photo.

What do you mean "More to your device"?
All I said was the cable is 100% tested, which includes being tested using SOE.
As seen in my installation videos and tutorials, as well as the quick starter print out provided, The CD gets popped in, the required drivers get installed. You then install the software and away you go!

Overall, SOE has been made as a Holden dedicated diagnostic application. There is absolutely no question in whether it supports Holden's, and even have live video demonstrations displaying what can be done.

If you are happy with generic information then thats fine! My final goal was to produce a professional diagnostic application, providing ALL of the diagnostic information possible in the vehicle. It is developed for diagnosing issues which the vehicle, or recording live sessions on track days ect to then be replayed when ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.