Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
My Holden Research and Development - All the stuff Im working on

Im sure anyone thats followed my threads/work on the web knows I tend to chatter alot! And try to involve the public in testing/trying things out that Im currently working on.

So I figured why not bring that to JustCommodores, so that everyone can see what I fill my days with and the new mods/applications that Im currently developing!

Lets start with the current projects (Off the top of my head!):
-VN/VP Diagnostic cable
-Bluetooth ALDL diagnostic Cable
-Android/Iphone ALDL and OBD2 application
-VT/VX/VY/VZ Body Diagnostics application (Finished.. currently being tested by a couple JC members!)
-VE Body diagnostics application
-VT-VZ ECU Immobilizer resetting (Allows relinking to BCM/PIM)
-Over the web reprogramming
-Remote Module Flashing
-Custom VT-VE LCD Pod gauges (Plug-n-play)
-Custom All-in-one Diagnostic cable that supports ALL Holdens languages + wideband input + more
-VE Cluster custom startup text
-VE headunits custom startup logos/text
-VF Tyre pressure monitoring system enabling
-VF Steering wheel paddle shifting
-VF Diagnostics application (Collecting parts and basic beginnings!)
-VF Mylink VIM/General reverse engineering
-VF Mylink App development (Official app with GM when/if accepted)

Annnnd, thats just off the top of my head currently!
So why do I have so many? Generally as I progress one project (even if not related) it can actually help progress in other fields which include deciphering algorithms or implementing new routines. Or when I become stumped, I move onto the next idea/work and eventually will overcome the original issue of the previous project from progress made on the new project.

As I start tinkering with things, Ill post updates here with what Im doing and if there will be any lucky (Or brave?) individuals that want to try out the latest inventions.

Im all for requests or ideas as well!. Can never have enough projects... as you can tell :beer chug:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Good job Tazzi, keep it up.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Wonder if you could get an Android app going that would work with the OTG (on the go) adaptor. Was going to try your cable and torque pro if I can get an OTG cable for my phone. Would prefer your specific designed app though.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Wonder if you could get an Android app going that would work with the OTG (on the go) adaptor. Was going to try your cable and torque pro if I can get an OTG cable for my phone. Would prefer your specific designed app though.

I looked into that not long ago. And for mobiles/tablets, the best option is highly quality bluetooth that support increasing its communication speed (Baud rate) or WIFI device but not so many programs/applications happily deal with WIFI devices.

USB would be a nice solid connection.. but.. you cant install all the same drivers that a windows PC has. Or if they can, it requires jailbreak/root access to the device to enable certain abilities.

Only problem with todays wireless diagnostic cables (ELM WIFI and ELM Bluetooth), is the ELM was not intended to be used wireless, they dont communicate with a checksum (To validate the data) and do all communication too slowly preventing them from capturing data at a decent speed!

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
So what your saying in simple terms is you or some one needs to come up with an adaptor that's better then everything else and will work over bluetooth/wifi with the checksum feature? Sounds like a pretty big project.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So what your saying in simple terms is you or some one needs to come up with an adaptor that's better then everything else and will work over bluetooth/wifi with the checksum feature? Sounds like a pretty big project.

Exxxxxxactly!!
It is a big project.. But.. its already in the works. :beer chug:
The hardest part is making it future proof, since no-one wants to have to keep upgrading devices!

I have a working implementation, but need to invest into a high quality 3D printer to develop some nice cases and a few other bits and pieces!

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have recently bought your cable and have been happy with it. Not that I'm very technically minded but if you want a guinea pig for the android side of things I'm happy to help :p

rossymond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS SPORTWAGON - ORDERED!
Have you made Any progress or started on any work with my link?

I have searched and found some references to the OS, hardware etc, but nothing really useful.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Have you made Any progress or started on any work with my link?

I have searched and found some references to the OS, hardware etc, but nothing really useful.

Sure have! I havent posted much up anywhere in regards to it. If there was any interest I can start putting progress here :)
I have been a bit slack with keeping this thread up to date with progress with various projects due to lack of time everyday.

So far for the VF mylink....

1) Can relink a second hand mylink to another vehicle. This then allows non-nav vehicles to be upgraded to nav vehicles!

2) Enable/Disable the mylink HSV EDI button. :beer chug:
Im still working on a plug and play cable and box to fit a VF HSV EDI to a non HSV though.

3) Enabling the reverse guidelines for those without guidelines.

Now as for digging a bit deeper into the mylink.. the operating system is based on a openware solution (I think from memory!). This got my hopes up for a custom operating system.. but.. I can go as far as opening up the operating system but.. the damn thing has various encryptions inplace to prevent modifications or peeking further into it all. I will eventually keep looking into it but for now my time is less then limited.. actually.. non existent!