Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Euro-brisk-multispark-spark-plug

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
I put these new plugs in last night and found a noticeable difference in the way my car runs, thought I would pass it on for anyone interested. see link below:hmmm:

EURO BRISK MULTISPARK SPARK PLUG [ HOLDEN COMMODORE ] - eBay Spark Plugs, Ignition, Charging, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Jan-10 20:34:55 AEDST)

Spark Plug Comparison Spark Plug Research
News letter http://www.brisksparkplugs.com.au/news/NEWS011007 1.pdf

Question:
Why are Silver spark plugs "the best spark plugs in the world"?

Answer:
A spark plug has only one function. Deliver a spark to the combustion chamber to initiate combustion. A stronger spark means improved combustion. If the metal used for the center electrode is a poor electrical conductor, such as platinum or nickel-alloy, some of the energy is lost and the spark is weaker. A weaker spark could mean lost performance. Silver is by far the best electrical and thermal conductor of any metal. Using a large silver diameter center electrode, can mean up to 137% more spark power and therefore increased engine performance. Nology Silver spark plugs out-perform all other spark plugs and deliver the most powerful spark. That's why Silver spark plugs are the best spark plugs in the world.

Question:
Aren't Platinum or Iridium spark plugs the best?

Answer:
No. As a matter of fact, Platinum and Iridium are some of the worst metal conductors. The reason why Platinum and Iridium spark plugs are used is for longevity only. They can last up to 100,000 miles. If you are looking for longevity, they are for you. If you are looking for performance, choose silver.

Question:
Isn't copper a good conductor?

Answer:
Yes, but not the best. Silver is the best. Also, the electrodes of spark plugs with so called "copper electrodes" are not solid copper, they are copper core. This means, an electrode made out of a poor conducting material, usually nickel-alloy, with a copper core. This only benefits heat dissipation, not performance.

Question:
Doesn't a silver electrode melt?

Answer:
No. Just like conventional spark plugs, Silver spark plugs are available in different heat ranges. If the correct heatrange is chosen, thermal problems won't arise.

Question:
Why is heatrange so important?

Answer:
If a spark plug doesn't have the correct heat range for the engine, engine failure can occur. A spark plug that is too cold won't reach optimum operating temperature and could experience carbon build-up or oil-fouling. A spark plug that is too hot can overheat and melt the electrode.

Question:
Won't a "hotter" spark plug make a hotter spark?

Answer:
No. A hotter, or colder spark plug refers only to the ability of the spark plug to dissipate heat. A colder spark plug dissipates heat faster than a hotter spark plug.

Question:
Do I need to change spark plug heat range when I use Silver?

Answer:
No. Spark plug heatrange stays the same.

Question:
I noticed that Silver spark plugs are only available in a few heatranges?

Answer:
Yes, that's correct. Silver is also the best thermal conductor of any metal. In managing the ever changing combustion chamber temperatures, caused by different engine and load conditions, silver is unsurpassed. To prevent plug fouling, optimum operating temperature is reached shortly after start up, yet under full throttle, when things really start to get hot, heat is dissipated rapidly. Silver spark plugs provide the widest heatrange latitude and therefore cover all heatranges with fewer models.

Question:
The Silver spark plugs recommended for my engine look like they are a much hotter heatrange than the spark plugs I normally use?

Answer:
Because the thermal conductivity of silver is so much better than that of any other metal, the physical appearance of Silver spark plugs will be different.

Question:
Isn't a split electrode or a fine wire electrode better?

Answer:
It depends on the application. Since the ionization voltage of spark plugs with split electrodes or fine wire electrodes is lower, they are perfect for older vehicles with weak ignition systems. But since spark voltage is lower, they are not desired for performance applications. In addition, electrical energy travels on the outside of a conductor and not through the middle as commonly assumed, and since a large diameter center electrode offers a larger surface area, spark carrying ability is increased when the center electrode has a large diameter. To put it simply, you can't fit a big spark through a tiny electrode.

Question:
Is there a noticeable improvement if I use Silver, and if yes, why?

Answer:
Yes. The combination of using silver and having a large diameter center electrode increases Silver's spark carrying ability and spark power.

Question:
Are there any other reasons why Silver spark plugs are superior?

Answer:
Yes. Silver spark plugs are manufactured to highest quality standards and are made exclusively out of top grade materials. The extra pure aluminum oxide insulator is of the purest material available. This gives Silver spark plugs the highest reliability together with very good high voltage insulation.

Question:
How long will Silver spark plugs last?

Answer:
The spark plugs will last up to three times as long as conventional spark plugs. Silver is a precious metal and therefore extremely resistant to erosion, guaranteeing a virtually unchanged electrode gap for the life of the spark plug.

Question:
What about spark plug gap?

Answer:
The spark plug gap is the same as the one recommended by the manufacturer of the engine in which the spark plugs are to be used.

Question:
What's the best way to gap spark plugs?

Answer:
To gap spark plugs always use a spark plug gapping tool. Never pry the ground electrode with a screwdriver or similar object. This could permanently damage the ceramic insulator and the center electrode, making the spark plug inoperable and voiding the warranty.

Question:
Why do I need resistor plugs?

Answer:
You don't always need to use resistor spark plugs. True, some electronic engine management systems are very sensitive to RFI or EMI and if non-resistor spark plugs are used the engine doesn't work properly. However, most engines will not experience any problems with non-resistor spark plugs, especially if there is some resistance in the spark plug cap or the wires.

Question:
So non-resistor spark plugs are better for performance?

Answer:
Yes. If you are looking for performance you want to use non-resistor spark plugs. A resistor is exactly what the word implies. When the spark crosses the point of resistance some of the spark energy is lost. A resistor is like an electronic obstacle and could be the cause for a weak spark. Non-resistor spark plugs deliver a more powerful spark.

Question:
Why do car manufacturers recommend resistor spark plugs?

Answer:
One reasons is actually emissions. Since the resistor is an obstacle it forces the spark voltage to be higher, assuring combustion in a lean mixture. Also resistor plugs are MUCH cheaper to produce. You will never find resistor plugs in serious race cars, yet these cars use some of the most sophisticated engine management and data acquisition systems. But these cars have no EMI problems. Why? The spark happens inside the combustion chamber where he is completely shielded by the metal cylinder head. No EMI can escape the combustion chamber.

Question:
How tight should spark plugs be?

Answer:
This is a very important point. Most of the time spark plugs are too tight, (over torqued). This will result in a deformed spark plug, with the internal seal damaged. A spark plug damaged this way can lead to premature spark plug failure and even engine damage. For proper torque values, please check with the spark plug manufacturer.

Question:
I read something about antiseize and silicone grease. What are they for?

Answer:
Before installing any spark plug always apply antiseize to threads. This assures easy removal of the spark plug and prevents corrosion and seizing. For best high voltage insulation, to prevent arcing-over on the outside of the aluminum oxide insulator and to repel moisture, always apply a high quality silicone grease to the inside of the spark plug boot.

I'm not trying to sell the product nor trying to proves its any better than anyone else's plug, but at the same time its good to know what's out there and what's available, then people can make the choice.

I have found heaps of information on this forum, some I like some I don't, but at the same time its all good. especially for those that don't have mechanical aptitude and want to know more of what's out there.

Last year I replaced the plugs both in my VZ and VU with a set of iridium plugs purchased from Bursons and recommended by them, to tell you the truth I wasn't really happy with the way the cars ran. So when I took some leave at Christmas I did some homework, to cut a long story very short I purchased a set of genuine Holden iridium's for the VZ and a set of Brisks for the VU. Both cars now run like they should and yes Bursons probably sold my the wrong set of plugs but I used this forum and did home work and I'm now a happy man, so why not pass that all on, because at the end of the day its all for free !

Last edited:

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
I run Brisk LGS series plugs in my L67 and love them ;)

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I run Brisk LGS series plugs in my L67 and love them ;)

Tell me about it, i was unsure at first but thought what the heck give them a try I was very impressed I must say

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
I actually read the ebay ad from top to bottom getting more and more impressed, until I came across the part where try try to claim silver is a better conductor of electricity than gold, at that point I closed the window.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yeah, not for $24 PER plug.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I actually read the ebay ad from top to bottom getting more and more impressed, until I came across the part where try try to claim silver is a better conductor of electricity than gold, at that point I closed the window.

All metals can conduct electricity. The best conductor is silver.:smoking:
Then Copper
Here is a list of specific resistance in Ohms*mm^2/m
- Silver - 0.016
- Copper - 0.0175
- Gold - 0.022
- Aluminum 0.0278
Those are the best conductors according their rank.

What about Iridium Spark Plugs?
Iridium is a super dense material and therefore extremely resistant to wear. That's it!
It is a terrible thermal conductor and a bad electrical conductor, so why would anyone use it to make a spark plug center electrode? Since car manufacturers have to guaranty that their engines stay in-tune for up to 100,000 miles, they can only achieve this with ultra dense Iridium or Platinum.

Silver spark plugs are especially designed for high-performance engines. Silver is the best electrical and thermal conductor of any metal, which makes it the ultimate material for a spark plug's center electrode. The large diameter silver center electrode increases spark carrying ability and spark power. Silver is extremely resistant to erosion, guaranteeing a virtually unchanged electrode gap for the life of the spark plug.Silver spark plugs are without a resistor, perfect for performance enthusiasts who demand the most from their engines. For racing or dependability and efficiency for everyday use, Silver spark plugs deliver the most powerful spark.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Silver is actually the best conductor but it is more prone to surface corrosion than gold or platinum.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Couple of points -

The 'Skin effect' they are talking about - where the signal passes around the surface of the conductor, has no bearing on spark plug performace. RF signals being extremely low current are most affected by the skin effect. Some very high quality cables for radio and tv signal are actually hollow tube conductors.

Think of it this way - signals are electrons moving through molecular structures. Push an electron into the orbit of a molecule and an electron will pop out the far side. A bit like a hose full of marbles. Push a marble in one end and one will pop out the other. The conductor is made up of a 3 dimensional lattice of molecules. Push an electron in to the lattice and one pops out the other end. In between though, the electron may pop sideways a few million times. The electron doesn't follow the shortest course, it's quite randomn. At the 'skin' of the conductor though, there are fewer joins to other molecules. It limits the directions in which the extra electron can move. So the signal spreads faster at the skin.

However - you need more than just a one molecule thick 'skin' to carry large currents. And the Current transmitted is very important. Mathematically V = IR, where V= Volatge, I = current and R = resistance. If the resistance is very low, you need a much higher current to produce the same voltage. A 10 amp circuit needs 1.0 sqmm cross section copper cable to carry it, at 12 volts. 15 amps 1.5sqmm. 20 amp 2.0 and so on. These are the ADR ratings for the copper cables. It's also why the better cables are made of finer strands. More skin effect plus more total copper in cropss section, = best of both worlds. This is especially obvious in Top End Audio cables, and in comparison, Battery cables. Audio = hundreds of ultra fine strands (315 x 0.08 mm diameter strands is not uncommon for SERIOUS audio, but only totals 1.5mm cross section. the common 15 amp cable for car power is 30 strands x 0.25 mm diameter. Same cross section, just no need for the skin effect). 100 Amp Battery cables (3AWG) are usually 196 strands x 0.4 mm diameter, as current is more important here.

Why do they use stranded cables then and not big lumps of copper ? Flexibility and resistance to vibration. Flexibility is obvious, but copper will tend to fracture at bends if subjected to continuous vibration, so they anneal the copper by basically rubbing the outer surface alot, softening it and increasing vibration resistance. Since annealing doesn't penetrate very deeply into the copper, they use small strands, just lots of them.

Solid copper cables should only be used in situations where no movement or vibration occurs - like in the walls of a house or building, or buried in concrete - or where the skin effect is not required.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
Couple of points -

The 'Skin effect' they are talking about - where the signal passes around the surface of the conductor, has no bearing on spark plug performace. RF signals being extremely low current are most affected by the skin effect. Some very high quality cables for radio and tv signal are actually hollow tube conductors.

Think of it this way - signals are electrons moving through molecular structures. Push an electron into the orbit of a molecule and an electron will pop out the far side. A bit like a hose full of marbles. Push a marble in one end and one will pop out the other. The conductor is made up of a 3 dimensional lattice of molecules. Push an electron in to the lattice and one pops out the other end. In between though, the electron may pop sideways a few million times. The electron doesn't follow the shortest course, it's quite randomn. At the 'skin' of the conductor though, there are fewer joins to other molecules. It limits the directions in which the extra electron can move. So the signal spreads faster at the skin.

However - you need more than just a one molecule thick 'skin' to carry large currents. And the Current transmitted is very important. Mathematically V = IR, where V= Volatge, I = current and R = resistance. If the resistance is very low, you need a much higher current to produce the same voltage. A 10 amp circuit needs 1.0 sqmm cross section copper cable to carry it, at 12 volts. 15 amps 1.5sqmm. 20 amp 2.0 and so on. These are the ADR ratings for the copper cables. It's also why the better cables are made of finer strands. More skin effect plus more total copper in cropss section, = best of both worlds. This is especially obvious in Top End Audio cables, and in comparison, Battery cables. Audio = hundreds of ultra fine strands (315 x 0.08 mm diameter strands is not uncommon for SERIOUS audio, but only totals 1.5mm cross section. the common 15 amp cable for car power is 30 strands x 0.25 mm diameter. Same cross section, just no need for the skin effect). 100 Amp Battery cables (3AWG) are usually 196 strands x 0.4 mm diameter, as current is more important here.

Why do they use stranded cables then and not big lumps of copper ? Flexibility and resistance to vibration. Flexibility is obvious, but copper will tend to fracture at bends if subjected to continuous vibration, so they anneal the copper by basically rubbing the outer surface alot, softening it and increasing vibration resistance. Since annealing doesn't penetrate very deeply into the copper, they use small strands, just lots of them.

Solid copper cables should only be used in situations where no movement or vibration occurs - like in the walls of a house or building, or buried in concrete - or where the skin effect is not required.

Sounds good, but what does 20 amp fuses 196 strands of wire and 100 amp battery cables:blah blah::blah blah::blah blah: got to do with spark plugs:idea3: