Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing a rounded sump plug

idb

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden vx s m5
hey all i just got vx s pack and i thought i mite change its oil and i found that da old owner has rounded the sump plug. I tryed removing it with every thing i can think of but still no luck Can any one here give me some clues to removing it or is there any tools which are good at removing rounded off bolts thanks for reading this and your input idb

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
get some inox and some screw extractors.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
If desperate to get it off and your obviously replacing it anyway. Drill a drillbit sideways through the top of the sump and remove drill leaving the drillbit through the sump. . Then use hammer on the drillbit as leverage.

Other option i often thought about was welding a small rod or chunk of metal onto the sump and using that as leverage. Never tested it so you'll probably blow up if you try it.
Good luck mate

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Try using a pair of stilsons , They are a bit like an adjustable spanner .The more leveridge you use to undo the nut , the more they clamp onto it which reduces slipping off the nut and rounding it off even more.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Yep, stilsons are good. If all else fails tack weld a nut on the plug to get it off.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
vice grips or a small socket and smash it on with a hammer.. You wont be able to use the socket again though id expect.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Use a hammer and chisel, hit it anti clockwise and it will come off. Do not go hitting a drill bit with a hammer if you dont want bits of drill in you skin. Do not smash a socket on it as you will most probably crack the sump as its only think cast aluminium.

Doubt vice grips or stillsons will get it off either. It needs a quick sharp tap to crack it.

Just think about it. How tight is it on there if the last owner rounded the head off???? Bloody tight.