Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Achilles ATR Sport tyre Failure

AGRSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS, Cammed VN V6 daily
Hi,

Just thought i would pop on here and give everyone a headsup

I brought 2 rear 245/30R20 Achilles ATR Sport tyres 4 months ago and they have both failed.

One had two massive bubbles in the inner sidewall, the other sidewall completly gave way with a 30 cm tear.

After much of a debacle the state tyre rep said he would replace the tyres pro-rata, meaning i would pay for the tread i'd used.

Little did i know the tyre joint that shall remain un-named unless u PM me, wanted to charge me $140 fitting and balancing per wheel...PER WHEEL.

I said that was BS and I wsn't going to pay $280 for the 3mm of tread i'd used.

WAS such BS.

I stood up for myself and The Achilles rep paid 50% of the cost.

Still not happy about it.

STEER CLEAR OF ACHILLES PPL and if you have the same happen ask for the tyres and get them fitted after you ring around.

Cheers

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
On the otherside, I'm on my second set for the daily with no complaints, they aren't a performance tyre but for a daily they are fine, I got very good k's out of my last set, hence why I purchased a second set.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
I have had them for a year now in 245/35 R19 no complaints at all.

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
I had the archillies atr sport 225/30/20r which both rear failed, bubbled and tore apart on the dyno. Worst ####ing tyres i have ever used, never again. Using federal 595 now.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
They are certainly not a performance tyre, if I had a car with a little bit of power or a car which needed to handle even slightly well I wouldn't consider them. Even federal 595ss are cheap as chips. I only use Achilles because of their 400 treadwear rating on my stock V6 Berlina, I think anyone with an SS or something with some power should consider a better tyre, 400 is incredibly hard. (The advans I run on my skyline are a 180) Federal 595ss are a 220 from memory.

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
They are certainly not a performance tyre, if I had a car with a little bit of power or a car which needed to handle even slightly well I wouldn't consider them. Even federal 595ss are cheap as chips. I only use Achilles because of their 400 treadwear rating on my stock V6 Berlina, I think anyone with an SS or something with some power should consider a better tyre, 400 is incredibly hard. (The advans I run on my skyline are a 180) Federal 595ss are a 220 from memory.
I dont mind the feds, seem to grip fairly well.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
what do you expect for cheap, poor quality tyres? it's not as if they are a premium tyre...

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi,

I brought 2 rear 245/30R20 Achilles ATR Sport tyres 4 months ago and they have both failed.

I had the archillies atr sport 225/30/20r which both rear failed, bubbled and tore apart on the dyno. Worst ####ing tyres i have ever used, never again. Using federal 595 now.

hmm anyone else see the pattern of rear tyres failing?