Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VicRoads vehicle inspections

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all, just wanting to know from anyone who has needed to attend one before, how thorough are the vehicle inspections when registering a vehicle or needing to change the vehicles details? Do they put your vehicle on a hoist or is it more of a general visual inspection?

The reason is Im close to getting the VN on the road after putting in alot of money and effort to clean it up and convert it to manual, which Iv spent nearly all of my spare time doing for many weeks now. So the reason it will need to be inspected is the transmission swap, and turns out the engine number doesnt match the cars current details.

Now, the registration fees and roadworthy is going to send me broke, and there are some things on the car that 'should' be replaced but just cant afford to at the moment, which is mainly just bushes, steering rack end and tie rod end boots (but cant just replace the boots!), and by replacing them I would need an alignment and so on, which is more money gone.

Im thinking its only visual, because the roadworthy is for all the technical stuff. I shouldnt have a problem acquiring a roadworthy certificate, not that Im being dodgy, but Ive gone over the WHOLE car myself at the beginning, and made a list of what needed to be done, then checked off the list as it was fixed. All tyres are now roadworthy and all electrics work. I just need some welding done to the parcel shelf (damn 6x9's!) and a small crack in the floor, then Im calling it ready for registration.

This is my first propper car to call my own btw, hence why Im nervous about it all. :p Sorry for the long post!

Cheers.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
New Vehicle inspection: Go out to your car, and ask you to show them the Engine number and the Chassis (pre 87) or the VIN Number and confirm it with the details provided, full roadworthy cert required.

Engine swap: Check your paper work, make sure you have a receipt, and a visual inspection of the engine number to confirm the details.

Defected: A Visual check to make the sure the defected parts have been fixed or replaced, nothing else checked.

Registration Transfer: No inspection needed, just a current roadworthy certivicate and the transfer papers filled out and signed by both parties.

Transmisssion chage: Never heard of this needing an inspection or notifying Vicroads, but never given it much thought either.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Cheers for the quick reply! Id give you rep but you know...

This is for an initial registration. Well, sort of. Its going to be sticky subject when the time comes around. I bought it from a small car yard on condition of no registration or roadworthy for $400. It had no plates on it and I drove it home on a permit. The receipt I was given was written on a small piece of paper stating the guys name who sold it to me and how much for, with his signature. I highly doubt he was the previous owner. Thinking the car wasnt registered, I thought it wouldnt be a problem to register it. But just the other day I was curious and checked the VIN on the vicroads site, which I should have done a long time ago but diddnt think of it. Turns out the rego is suspended and there is still plates issued to the car.

I can see it being one big headache, especially when I bought it at the beginning of the year...

So anyone here work for vicroads? :p

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Just ring them and explain the problem with the rego and they will tell you what you need to do.
If it has no rego then they will inspect the car,i have only had them check vin and engine numbers so you will need a reciept for the motor in it.
Who ever gives you a roady with stuffed bushes and needing tie rod ends etc replaced is just begging to go out of business.
If it needs this stuff then save some more money and get it done right.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Foxman they just read the vin number and engine number outside the reg office with a torch, bonnet up, that's it. A reciept is all you need too so don't worry about that. The guy you bought it from WAS the owner, he just wasn't the last one to own it with rego :)

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
When they inspected my VN they just opened the bonet and checked the engine number.
They didnt even check the lights, tyres or nothing...

I guess it depends who you get and what mood their in.
However weather your going for an inspection or not your car should still be roadworthy for the safety of yourself and other drivers.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Ah right, might be all alright then :).

As I said, the bushes (rear sway bar) 'should' be replaced, because they are fatigued and squashed but they are still there. The front sway bar bushes have been replaced recently and all other bushes are still fine. The other thing was the rack end boots and rod end boots. The rod ends are still fine but its just the boots have small cracks from age but no grease is leaking.

None of the above is going to cause an accident, and will be replaced when I can afford to. Anyway, this thread was to answer a question, not get opinions on the cars current state.

Its still probably a week or two away until I can start the registration process. Its been in the works for far too long now. Needs to get moving!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I think it also depends on how the car is presented. If it looks like a modified car, or a "fast" car, chances are they'll want it up on a hoist, and they'll want to run a height wheel underneath it. If the car looks like an honest daily, they'll just want to check the numbers.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
True that. Well its at stock height, 15" VR calais rims, interior is standard apart from VN calais wheel and VP L2 cluster which isnt really classed as modifications. Only real mod is the exhaust, which I better replace with stock until im in the clear. Lucky I kept it :). Though might have to grind the rusted tip off to make it look acceptable :p

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I'm a bit confused here. SOmeone will correct me if i am wrong:

-You have a car that is not currently registered in your name.
-You would like to register this car in your name in Vic.

Therefore:
-You will need to book it in to get a roadworthy ($50 - $150 at a mechanics usually).
-You will need a permit or daypass to do the above.
-You either pass the roadworthy or you don't, these are usually supposed to be pretty thorough.
-Let's assume you pass - you then book in with vicroads where they will check your engine # and vin and cross check it with the database. It's at this point you show them the receipt for the engine used for the transplant.
-You pay vicroads $5XX, sign some papers, Pay another plate fee (i think - certainly on slimlines) then swoosh down to get the car insured ($150 - $900).

At this point you are done.
Forgive me if i am wrong, but i feel you are missing the point where you have to get a roadworthy inspection THEN a vicroads inspection.