Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Intermittent Ignition

Cleggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
Hi All,

I have a VS commodore that has intermittent starting problems. Sometimes the engine will crank over and sometimes it doesn't, either with a hot or cold engine. Basically it's like having your trans in drive (auto) and turning your key to no effect. The car has been to a Holden dealer with no faults identified on the ECU. Keys were stripped down and cleaned. Ignition barrel is also OK.

Hope someone can help with my frustration.

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
dose turning the key to ignition work all the time?

could be a loose ignition fuse. happened to me

Crossy_014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe
also take off you centre console cover to get access to the Auto trans. check if the grey wire and the pink wire(inhibitor wires) are loose because there might be intermittent connection at theshifter or at the plug

Cleggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
Hi All, Found the problem. It was the engine imobiliser. After pressing the "unlock" on the key whilst in the ignition appears to have fixed my problem. Normally the engine imobiliser will turn off once you unlock the car. Not sure what's happened. I will keep an eye on it anyway. Again thanks all for your advice.

Hi All,

I have a VS commodore that has intermittent starting problems. Sometimes the engine will crank over and sometimes it doesn't, either with a hot or cold engine. Basically it's like having your trans in drive (auto) and turning your key to no effect. The car has been to a Holden dealer with no faults identified on the ECU. Keys were stripped down and cleaned. Ignition barrel is also OK.

Hope someone can help with my frustration.

alchem1st

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS S2 Ute
Hi Cleggy, Has this happened since ? I have this problem on the VS i just bought... suspecting the immobilizer - may get it replaced all together.