Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you remove Holden Assist from stereo?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I've been having some trouble as of two days ago. My holden assist appears to be trying to activate itself through my stereo system when I turn the car on or off. Its a pain in the butt.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...7-holden-caprice-voice-issue.html#post1243730

I dont even has this service activated.

Does anyone know how to physically unplug this from my stereo? It appears to be separate from the bluethooth plug as I checked it (passenger side panel) and its not being used.

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
Been a while but, if you remove the glove box and vent trim next to it, you will see the Telematics module up behind there. (Has an Aust Arrow sticker on it)
It looks slightly like a bcm. there is 2 plugs (I think) and another for the gps aerial. It is a bit tricky to disconnect, but it is possible.

Hope it helps.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
If you only need to disable the muting function assigned with Holden assist, you only need to remove Yellow/Black cable from the rear of the unit. It's only connected to the microphone and the telematics module.

As for removing it, not too sure, it may cause errors as it communicates with the BCM via Serial Connection.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
If you only need to disable the muting function assigned with Holden assist, you only need to remove Yellow/Black cable from the rear of the unit. It's only connected to the microphone and the telematics module.

Can you give me a bit more info on this? I want to give it a try. Only way I know who to remove it is by unplugging the mirror. But it does not solve my issue.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Can you give me a bit more info on this? I want to give it a try. Only way I know who to remove it is by unplugging the mirror. But it does not solve my issue.
Yes unplugging your mirror will not only fix it. Basically there are two wires that connect to the Y/B wire on the head unit in relation to Holden Assist.

One comes from the mirror and the other comes from the actual Holden Assist unit in the boot. They join in through connector YB157 from memory.

If you unplug your mirror and the Holden Assist module this would work, however i'm not sure how your BCM will handle it. The vehicle may complain about the unit being missing though. Im' not totally sure as to whether it will or not though, there wasn't any details in the Holden Workshop manual about this because it's all details on how to fix it and no details on how to remove it.

EDIT: If you want, and if you give me time, i can check out which pin on the connector in the boot it will be that you can cut the wire from. Then just keep your mirror unplugged?

Although, it would look better if you have acccess behind your head unit as you can leave the mirror plugged in and it looks the part still.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Firstly, where in the boot is this assist unit?

Alright, I removed my stereo with the old coat-hanger method
JAW's VY Berlina: CD player

Now I see a bunch of connectors in the back of it. One says TEL AF and another TEL AF+. The third says TEL Mute.

Thing is, I am unsure as to how to disable these because they are all in one circuit. I sure as heck do not want to snap the circuit the pin off.

It looked pretty much like this inside... no wires to keep loose
cd_5.jpg

Last edited:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Here is the location of everything to do with the Holden Assist features. Number 6 is the Holden Assist Module.
VXHoldenAssist1.jpg

This pic shows you the connections on them
VXHoldenAssist2.jpg

Probably the best way is to infact just disconnect the Assist module and see what that does.

Upon looking at the picture again i was way out last night. I need to get some sleep, but ignore what i said above. Under no circumstances should you remove the mute signal! Let me say again, do NOT remove the mute connection.

The mute will engage when the head unit senses no voltage across that circuit (well, technically anything less than 0.2 volts). Instead the next best option to removing the Holden Assist unit will be to bridge the accesories power on the phone connector to the mute signal cable, thus in turn always providing more than 0.2 volts across the mute line and never allowing the head unit to be muted.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Here is the location of everything to do with the Holden Assist features. Number 6 is the Holden Assist Module.

Thanks, now I just need to figure out how to get behind the boot liner. That shouldnt be too hard. The pic you got there is of a WH, mines a WK but I assume its located in a similar place.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Also, when I used to press the Holden Assist call button the thing tried to dial but then a voice said something about the service being disconnected. Now there is just a red light on the mirror and the buttons do nothing. Maybe the Holden Assist unit has died? I'll check tomorrow if I can remove the boot liner. I'm hoping its something as simple as a blow fuse.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
My green light comes on but when i press the buttons nothing happens either ....
Been like that since i bought the car.