Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Has Better Economy Than Alloytec??

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey,
i was planning on getting a VZ Exec, and looking at the redbook figures of the fuel economy of the vz compared to my vs.. and according to red book the vs is pretty much better?
Can anyone with an alloytec say what kind of fuel economy they get?
Thoughts?

Cheers.
Alloytec
Green Credentials
CO2 Emissions 266

Fuel Urban (l/100km) 11.0

Fuel Extra Urban (l/100km) 6.6

Fuel Combined (l/100km) 11.1

VS Ecotec
Green Credentials
Fuel Urban (l/100km) 10.5

Fuel Extra Urban (l/100km) 6.8

Fuel Combined (l/100km) 8.2

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Ecotec if more fuel efficient in real terms (not on paper) is not more efficient by much. Despite the abismal level of torque you get from the Ecotec, the Alloytec would still get my vote as it puts out more power. However, I've heard too many bad things about both so...take your pick of the rotten apples.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Ecotec if more fuel efficient in real terms (not on paper) is not more efficient by much. Despite the abismal level of torque you get from the Ecotec, the Alloytec would still get my vote as it puts out more power. However, I've heard too many bad things about both so...take your pick of the rotten apples.

go the ol buick instead. sams getting 7l/100km out of his

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Thats crazy.. my vs uses around 12l/100 around canberra.. but on the highway i get canberra to north sydney and back on one tank..
so no commodore is really good on petrol ay haha

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
The VZ is around 200kg heavier than a VS.
This should account for some of the apparent fuel discrepancy.

Corbs1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6
my old car, VY sedan (with 157KW ecotec motor), about 11L/100km on the highway...with exhaust and CAI, whilst driving like a grandma on her way to church.
My current VZ ute, 7.5L/100km, with exhaust and CAI on the highway.

Things to note, VY was a 4-speed auto
VZ is a 6 speed manual.

VY @ 100kph is doing about 2100rpm
VZ @ 100kph is doing about 1800rpm

Although having said all this, i too use redbook, and im confused with the discrepancy between the VZ and VS in terms of their fuel combined figures....almost 3L/100km
whilst all the other figures are less than 0.5L/100km different..

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
Corbs1234 you were getting pretty crappy fuel economy with your vy then with an exhaust and so on for freeway driving. For myself in my vy, i get around 8.2l/100km and that is not touched in anyway shape or form, as far as i am aware anyway. Maybe i am just lucky and a freak of a car. My series 1 VT clubby had worse economy than my vy, but that had alittle bit of work done, but still wasnt too bad. I think off memory i got around 10/100km give or take.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well I Messure my accomony alot, And With my VX Ecotech, I avg (with my sums with how much fuel and distance, its 9.2 / 100km. Now The Mrs VR, I have no idea but it, She did 700kms, and the fuel light was still not on and it has a 63ltr tank so 9 or better Ltrs per 100kms. and that was up and down hills. So a old buick is better then my Ecotec, i have got 670kms and had 11 liters remaining. so i dont get it lol