Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Automotive Silicon on the Paint!

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
Hey guys, I was removing my trolly strips. I wanted to see how they looked and got the 2 small ones, one under each indicator. When i pulled them off there was this black glue (which i presume is Automotive silicon) in the middle of the strip. Its got sikaflex AND the glue. So i got the whole driver side and am really struggling on the passenger side. Its leaving huge strips and chunks of glue on the body. I got the glue virtually right down to the paintwork with a razorblade but theres still glue on it. Is there anyway to loosen the glue and/or remove it? Ill take some photos and show you what it is eventually.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Tar and Bug remover works well, but it can damage paint so you might want to be very careful when applying it. It's comes in a spray can. Probably look for others before you go buying it.

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
The Black Glue = Sikaflex

Sikaflex is a brand name... They make lost of different products...

That stuff is pretty much a universal adhesive/sealant, with heaps of different uses,
It can be in a range of different colours, more commonly black,

It's used all over the automotive industry, and in heavy vehicle/truck body building,

If you're referring to your VY, its either sikaflex, or a product very similar...

Regardless of what ever brand/type of glue it is, it will be easily removable with the use of a 'Caramel Wheel' like whats already been said in that other thread.

Otherwise, you can kiss good bye a weekend, and a case...

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Pics would help identify what it might be...

But if its just what holds the strips on from the factory a caramel wheel WILL get it off,
Just go gently with it so the wheel doesn't destroy itself, or worse, burn the paint work.

Asa Spades

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Yea the caramel wheel gets off any type of hard setting adhesive like sikiflex. I just finished doing one side of my car with one...had to buy a second to start the other side lol

Oh_Your_Blind

Green means 'Earth'!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY Executive
img00035w.jpg

img00033cm.jpg

img00034cv.jpg

img00032.jpg

Last edited: