Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Hot Wax At The Car Wash

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Alright, this thread probably seems stupid to most, but i don't actually understand what hot wax is for. I always just wash the ute with soap and water, i have never used the hot wax. What does the wax actually do, is it to make it shiny or to protect it or something? Do you spray it on and leave it or do you need to wash it off with clean water afterwards. Do you need to avoid spraying your windows etc?

Cheers guys.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Hi Mate,

I always use the wax to wash off the soap suds, then rinse with clean water after....
It is supposed to leave a protective film on your paint to repell water and dust etc, plus stop bird crap penetrating your duco....
I use it, and car always comes up shiny, plus no need to chamois car, coz as soon as you drive, water runs off from wax coating......
May be a load of crap, but it worx in my mind :)

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Don't use any of the chemicals from those car wash places. I'd avoid them altogether if possible. But if you can't I suggest the following:

Go to Bunnings or similar and buy a bucket with a sealable lid and mix your own wash solution and take this with you. Only use the high pressure hose at the wash place to rinse your car. As said above don't use any of their chemicals and certainly not the brush!!! After you've washed and dried your car with a quality WWDT, (not a chamois!!!) apply a proper coat of sealant by hand.

If you want a wax that's quick and easy to apply, I would suggest this...
Car Care Products / Optimum / Exterior / Wax - Spray / Spray Car Wax

It may seem expensive but a little product goes a long way. 1 spray per panel will be enough.

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ha Ha, didn't realise we all drive show cars or 2010 models.....

For the basic daily driver these car wash's are fine, damn I've been using them for years without a drama...
No i don't use the brush on our Black VE, but I do use the high pressure soap, and the wax....worx 4 me and the other thousands of people that use them every day.......

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
haha, thanks for both opinions guys. I think the car wash wax should be fine for my old girl, its far from being a show car, lol. So the bottom line is, the wax needs to be washed off right?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh just needs high pressure water to wash it off, spot free rinse and off you drive

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Go to Bunnings or similar and buy a bucket with a sealable lid and mix your own wash solution and take this with you. Only use the high pressure hose at the wash place to rinse your car.

Yes, and if you do this most places will tell you to piss off. Every single car wash I have seen says that you can not use any of your own products.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
except a sponge.... providing you leave the foam brush on to put soap on your sponge :p i work at a carwash on weekends, and alot of people would rather use the brush than a sponge cos its got a constant flow of soap coming out of it which actually cleans the brushes...

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
It generally depends on management, some places supply small brush's to clean your wheels and others don't, and if you bring your own they ask that you stop and continue using the facility or move your car..........

Some places have hard bristle brush's, and others have soft, but if a 4x4 owner was there b4 you, expect some nice scratches from the mud and debris they leave behind......

Take a Jumbo sponge, and your missus, get her spraying high pressure soap while you sponge the crap outa the car at lightning speed, then all is good :)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
if i ever use the brush, i always use the high pressure hose to spray all the crap out of the brush anyway