Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY V6 balancer puller

d_stanley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s1
these are photos of my diy balancer tool. as requesed in an unrelated post. i decided to post it here incase others are interested. see attached word doc. i had to zip it because it was too big a word document to be allowed. hope it unzips for you ok.

Attachments

• DIY harmonic balancer puller V6_1.zip
    191.4 KB · Views: 994

d_stanley

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s1
hb3.JPGhb4.JPGhb6.JPGhb2.JPGhb5.JPGhb1.JPGhb7.JPGok try another way zip seems not to work.
DIY harmonic balancer puller V6.
hb1.JPG
This is the second one I built and it worked nicely. The 3 hooks are 10mm sq bar bent to form hooks with the “teeth” ground to fit the slots in the harmonic balancer. The yoke , where the arms come together is a 5.8 nut (1 inch across flats) the threaded bar down the centre is 5/8 and it pushes against the head of the harmonic balancer bolt.

Ok how to make it.
First this is the first one I made using ¼ inch rod instead of 10mm square bar. It wasn’t strong enough and the hook straitened and popped out of the slots before removing the balancer. It was much easier to make though and it was almost strong enough. I recon this idea made of 8mm round bar may be strong enough but I didn’t have any 8mm round in the shed. So you may want to give it a go.
hb2.JPG

Now back to the successful one
hb3.JPG

Start with a meter length of 10mm square bar or there abouts. Bend a right angle about 30mm from the end. I placed the bar upright in a vise , heated the bar with a propane torch, bent it over till it touched the vise and bashed it with a big hammer to tighten up the bend. I quenched it in water to try and harden up the teeth. Not really sure if this was effective or not but the teeth did end up quite hard.
Trim the bent end of the bar so you end up with a hook about 135mm as in the picture. Repeat for the other two hooks.
The exact length isn’t too important but they must all be the same or the puller won’t pull straight.

Trim the teeth to 22mm long with a cutoff disc or hacksaw.
hb4.JPG
Now you need to grind the teeth to fit in the holes of the balancer.

hb5.JPG
Grind the teeth to 8mm or so. Don’t grind them just straight otherwise you will end up with a cone type shape once the hooks are all assembled and you won’t be able to slot the teeth into the balancer. You need to grind the teeth at the angle of the white lines (the original square bar is shown in black). The idea is that when assembled these white lines will be parallel to the threaded bar. Once you have a rough shape. Tack the hooks onto the flats of the 5/8 nut.
hb6.JPG
Just tack it for now a small tack on the top of the nut.
Now do a trial assembly onto the harmonic balancer. More bending and grinding will probably be needed. To get it to fit. All three hooks should go into the slots on the balancer. A clockwise rotation should lock all three hooks behind the balancer pulley.
Once it fits nice you can weld it completely. If you have a spare balancer leave the hooks installed in the balancer as a template to preserve their position while you complete the welds properly.
Now its done.

To use it.
Loosen the balancer bolt and unthread it leaving four or five turns still in the crankshaft. (ie undo it all the way then screw it back in 5 turns). See below
Lubricate the treaded rod thread it into the tool.
install the tool on the balancer and pust against the balancer bolt by screwing in the threaded bolt.

hb7.JPG