Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore cv joint strength

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
playing with ideas for new axles(rear driveshaft, half shaft, cv shaft, etc) for the bmw, and ive been looking at commodore cv joints), theyre common as, and should be fairly cheap for me.

i need to get new shafts made up regardless, so i'll most likely go chrome moly or something, but i want some strong cv's aswell. trying to do this once, saves upgrading should i decide to go turbo/bigger motor later on.

so, how common is it to rip a commodore cv joint to pieces, and what sort of power/torque is your car pushing to do it, and what were you doing at the time(burnouts, drag, track, etc)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
I only know of one or two cars that have done it. One being geoff's blown vs clubby. More common for the boots to break on them.

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
My car and a few others are pushing well over 450hp at the rears no worries at all.
Torque 800nm on mine and some guys are pushing 1200nm no worries.

It takes Nos and big HP on the track with sticky tyres to break them.

V6 and V8 ones are same, just go to wreckers and buy second hand ones, thats what most guys do.