Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring for Reversing Camera

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hey everyone, i bought a wireless reversing camera and it is always flickering or not acknowledging that it's in reverse gear...the guy sent me out a new transmittor and new reciever...problem still hasn't been fixed..

the reversing camera connects to the transmittor, the transmittor has a red and black wire to attach to the reverse light..the transmittor wirelessly connects to my gps monitor..the reciever is within the gps charger itself which has 2 leads to go into the monitor..DC power, and AV in.

im beginning to think my red and black wires are in the wrong spot...i have wired it in parallel..red wire went to the green of the reverse light, and the black wire to the brown of the reverse light...was i meant to wire it in parallel? is it the wrong way round? should it be wired in series? if so, to which reverse wire, the green or brown?

if anyone has a wiring diagram or anything for this i'd appreciate it heaps

thanks everyone

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
it shouldnt go on at all if its the wrong polarity. i would be looking moe towards the switch on your selector. maybe a dud which means the reverse light would flicker.

set up a relay on the + side (the green wire, i believe, but use your test light to be sure) and run a seperate power wire. so the unit is powered of a solid constant power and the the reverse light only serves as a signal to turn it off and on.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
reverse lights are fine, infact, it was only jut serviced yesterday:)..ok, if i knew anything about what you just said i would. haha...i know the relay has 30,85,86,87...30 is power? 87 is going to whatever your load is..i think...#### i hate electricity, i'll tell the guy the sold it to me its a piece of ****, and if he can find a wiring diagram that will make it work, i'll use it haha

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the last time i google imaged a relay, the post numbers were wrong. i only really know which terminals do which by sight, but here goes nothing:
relay_diagram.JPG

30 is to the camera
87 is to battery constant
85 is ground
86 is reverse lights on/off

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hey dude, hooked up a relay to that today...you got the numbers right, except change 30 and 87 around..works good now:)...i had to do a relay earlier today for my spotlights so i sorta figured it out abit that way too...ahh well, thanks heaps dude, i owe you one :D

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
yepppp...i couldn't get it to flicker at all..it's perfect now...this is the terminal and wire set up

TERMINAL 30- Wire straight from battery
TERMINAL 85- Black wire of the transmittor(which is connected to the camera using sockets like an earphone jack) also connected to the brown wire of the reverse light
TERMINAL 86- To the green wire of the reverse light to act as a switch(when it goes into reverse, power goes through and activated the relay)
TERMINAL 87- Red wire of the transmittor (connected to camera, same as 85)

so yes, didn't take that long to figure it out, but thanks for helping me wire it up properly, was gunna snd the whole lot back and tell the guy it's a piece of ****, but you saved me from that haha thanks dude...just gotta get the positive wire from the battery up the length of the car and it should be sweet as:D

thanks dude