Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Defect notice HELP!

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
Hi all, ok I'm desperate for help from anyone here!

My wagon was issued with a defect notice today (about 2 streets from home, somehow that makes it feel so much worse). The two things the cop defected me for were:

tail lights too dark (they were tinted, but you could still see the lights through very clearly - though apparently they need to be standard anyway)

Rear bald tyre (that was fair)

But before I take it over the pits, I know it's also probably too low and I need to fix that. The springs have been changed but I don't have the originals.

Firstly, does anyone know what my suspension is, IRS or Live Axle? It's a 1997 VS Wagon (Toyota Lexcen).

Secondly, where would be the easiest place to get stock springs for it, a wrecker or from Holden?

Thirdly, where do i get spring compressors from and how much are they? Or if anyone in the Perth area is reading this, does anyone know where I could borrow some from?

Finally, if anyone has experience with the pits in WA, what sort of things will they be looking out for, and does anyone have any tips??? I've never done this before.

I love my wagon to bits and I'm worried sick now that this is happened, I just want to get it legally back on the road. I'm sorry if any of these questions sound stupid but I'm really worried and desperate.

Thanking everyone soooo much...

Sami

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Have a look at the diff, if it has a centre and 2 straight steel tubes coming out each side it's live axle, if it has 2 cv joints, it's IRS. Cheaper to get springs from the wreckers. Ya can get spring compressors from Repco for about 50 bux, possibly more, can't remember.

I've never had to take a car over the pits, but I'm sure they just check over anything to make sure it's safe and legal. You'll have to get rid of any oil leaks, replace any worn out bushes, make sure u go through with an original steering wheel, one that doesn't twist around on itself, make sure ur seatbelts aren't faded, torn or frayed, and make sure they retract properly. Ya seats can't be loose or wobbly (dunno how serious they take the wobbly bit coz all seats are wobbly to an extent), make sure ya lights have no cracks in them and they all must work. That sort of stuff is wat ya gotta look out for.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
tail lights too dark (they were tinted, but you could still see the lights through very clearly - though apparently they need to be standard anyway)

Rear bald tyre (that was fair)

But before I take it over the pits, I know it's also probably too low and I need to fix that. The springs have been changed but I don't have the originals.

Firstly, does anyone know what my suspension is, IRS or Live Axle? It's a 1997 VS Wagon (Toyota Lexcen).

Secondly, where would be the easiest place to get stock springs for it, a wrecker or from Holden?

Thirdly, where do i get spring compressors from and how much are they? Or if anyone in the Perth area is reading this, does anyone know where I could borrow some from?

Finally, if anyone has experience with the pits in WA, what sort of things will they be looking out for, and does anyone have any tips??? I've never done this before.

I love my wagon to bits and I'm worried sick now that this is happened, I just want to get it legally back on the road. I'm sorry if any of these questions sound stupid but I'm really worried and desperate.

Thanking everyone soooo much...

Sami

Lights: Bit harsh

Tyre: Your fault

Axle: Solid rear, i.e. Live Axle

Where to get springs: Wreckers, ebay

Where to get spring compressor: Autobarn, SuperCheap etc

Tips for the pits: Make sure everything on your 5 point check is working (indicators, demisters, windscreen wipers, washer etc, hazards) Make sure that there are no oil leaks, no water leaks, no power steering leaks etc. All seatbelts work, all seats firmly locked in. Plugs all good, shocks etc etc.....check everything.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I've seen spring compressors from Autobarn and Supercheap for about $35.

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
Omg thank you all so much, you've been incredibly helpful.

Yeah I know the tyre thing was my fault, I'll cop that. I didn't even like the tinted lights anyway, I wasn't the one who put them on so yeah that one kinda hurt.

Good to know the spring compressors aren't too expensive.

I'm still worried about my suspension, because it's extremely old. Original springs will be back in for the inspection, and I wasn't actually defected for any height issues (just tail lights and tyre), so how much attention will they be paying to the suspension do you think? On what will pretty much be a stock toyota lexcen wagon?

Cheers,

Sami

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
Hey guys change of plans...

The wagon will be wrecked, too difficult to get it over the pits now, taking a look at all the little things that will need to be fixed.

Thanks for the help anyway, I really appreciate it, I'll be sad to see her go :(

Cheers

Sami