Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will New Shocks Make a Difference? My Low Springs Are Uncomfortable!

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
I currently have "LOW" king springs installed in my VS Ute. I had them put in ages ago when i had very little money, i did not get new shocks with the springs, i left the stock shocks in.
Now here's the thing, i tear my hair out everytime i drive somewhere because to be honest the ute rides like a total brick shithouse..!! I hit a tiny bump and my teeth nearly fall out. I have contemplated so many times putting the stock springs back in and returning to a comfortable ride. I put low springs in for the same reason everyone does, it looks good, i would like to keep them in, so im asking, if i buy some aftermarket new shocks to suit the springs, will it make the vehicle ride a lot better? I don't want to spend the money if it won't make a difference.

Any help would be great guys, cheers.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
unfortunately the combination of low springs and low profile tyres are going to equal a rough ride
unless your shocks are bottoming out, then changing shocks won't make a lot of difference ride quality wise. Spring tension generally determines how harsh the ride is. Shocks dampen the compression & rebound of the springs.

however a new set of good quality shocks will improve handling.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I bet ya that it's sitting on the bump stops in the rear. Doesnt take much lowering in a ute to hit them. On my mates ute i took a reciprocating saw to the bumpstops and cut off about an inch so that some suspension travel could be regained.

Check it out

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Thanks guys. Yeah i have looked for the bumpstops but i can't see them. Where are they located exactly?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Thanks guys. Yeah i have looked for the bumpstops but i can't see them. Where are they located exactly?

easier to see if you pull a back wheel off. They both sit directly above the beam axle, look like an upside down cone shape. They are solid rubber so cutting it down wont hurt anything. Beats buying new shorter bumpstops, why pay for what is pretty much the same thing.. only shorter

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
So i should be able to cut them down easily if i knock the back wheels off?

blkvute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute II
I had the same problem with my ute i had super lows in on stock shocks (from old owner)
i changed them to Monroe Gt gas sports and is 100% better
still not as good as standard height springs but i like driving it alot more now

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
hi robbo, i have lows with stock shocks in my ute. it will be about 5mm from the rear bumpstops if the stops are standard length. will ride really choppy in the rear. break traction badly over bumps too.

i cut one part of the bump stops off and it rides alot better.

shocks will make a difference though, even though i havent done.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Awesome thanks guys. Looks like im cutting away some bumpstop.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
you will love it. it was like day/night comparison.