Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long can fuel go unused in a car?

turmoil117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs berlina
So as I've put on a few different threads I was in a car accident a week before Easter and my statesman hasn't moved since. Now the thing is a few hours before the accident I filled the tank up completely with premium fuel all of which is sitting in the tank not being used while I fix it. What I wanted to know is how long can the fuel sit in the tank before i have to drain it and replace it? Or should I just not worry about it and use it all up once I repair the front of the car?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Usually about 60 - 90 days before it goes stale. THe volatile compounds that make it ignite start to evaporate and the fuel will not combust as well. It will also start to gum up the fuel lines after a couple of months.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
It will be usable for months, it will have dropped octane after a little while though. Still safe to use, just won't be 95/98 octane anymore.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Usually about 60 - 90 days before it goes stale. THe volatile compounds that make it ignite start to evaporate and the fuel will not combust as well. It will also start to gum up the fuel lines after a couple of months.

An interesting question and not being funny but HTF is it going to evaporate in a sealed tank?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Rydogz, have a read of this. Does Gas Go Bad?

To the OP, I'm not saying use it, but I've had cars sitting for 3-4 months before and haven't had issues with old fuel. That said, they've been older cars i.e. carbed, not fuel injection and no computer.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
also: i have been told by an extremely reputable source that optimax, or whatever they call it now. can go off in a matter of days. the way it was explained to me involved a bunch of HUGE words, which i have now forgotten, but something along the lines of "the additives they put in it to give it its octane are highly prone to evaporation at high temperatures"

so basically, dont use optimax on a hot day.

edit* V-power. they call it v-power now. he likened it to kerosene once the additives had escaped.