Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wobbles after wheel swap

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys,

I have just put some VZ interceptor rims onto a VR Ute and have got some horrible wheel wobble. I have not had the wheels balanced but I think it is worse than a wonky wheel balance.

The Ute has also just had new suspension and springs as well as a wheel alignment a week ago (prior to fitting interceptors).

The interceptors have around 80% rear and around 40% fronts with some slight camber wear to the inside of the tyres. I only took it a couple hundred metres up the road and the wobble would be shifting the steering wheel and inch or two either way at 20km/h.

Wheel balance issue or bigger problems? I did a bit of research prior and was under the understanding that the VZ rims would fit the VR ok but it was pretty damn tight when we installed them.

Any info appreciated

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Balance first, if the problem persists come back. You may even have a buckled rim.

Will get onto it, thanks. Was hoping someone would come out and say that the VZ Tunner wheels dont fit the VR as that would of been much easier!

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
My 2nd hand 'new' wheels i picked up wobbled like **** when i first got them, they needed a balance and the guys put the rims on the wrong way = directional tyres spinning wrong way..

Made it turn all over the joint.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
My 2nd hand 'new' wheels i picked up wobbled like **** when i first got them, they needed a balance and the guys put the rims on the wrong way = directional tyres spinning wrong way..

Made it turn all over the joint.

I was wondering about the directional part. I had a good look at the tyres and it had no markings with a direction it. I also had a good look at the tread and it didn't have anything major towards a certain direction. Anyone else here have load rated Bridgeston Duravis'? Am I correct in presuming that direction doesn't matter unless it is marked or am I way off?

try swapping the front two to the back and vise versa, i had a problem like you and it turned out to be the tires, they had good tread and a quality brand tire, just to soft. so yeah try swapping them and maybe a balance

Will look into that also, I put the ones with the most meat left on them onto the rear.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Yeah if they're not marked they're fine, mind you if it is marked and not sure what to look for for directional sometimes it can hide from you lol. I'm gunna say it's either, wheel balance, tyres, tyre pressure or directions..

Work case senario you got a buckled rim, but they will find that out when they try balance them.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Will look into that also, I put the ones with the most meat left on them onto the rear.

Sorry... but why more tread on the rear?

Definitely get a balance before going any further. Just ask them to look out for a buckle.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Sorry... but why more tread on the rear?

Definitely get a balance before going any further. Just ask them to look out for a buckle.

I figured that the rear tyres will wear out quicker so I used the better tread. I would have no tread left real quick if I used the lesser tread tyres on the rear. Much like rotating your tyres to get more life out of the set.

Bit on an update, I have narrowed down the issue to one of the wheels. The front right doesn't sit on the wheel hub quite right. The wheel centre slots over the hub thingo but the gap around the area the hub joins the rim is different. The centre of the wheel has about a 2mm gap at the bottom and the top has 3 to 4mm gap. Nothing is in the way stopping it from sitting flush that I can see and I cannot figure it out. This makes the wheel sit wonky and it wobbles badly when moving.

The brakes / callipers etc have around 2mm clearance from the sides of the wheel, is this too close?