Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retiring the VT... so what to get, VZ or VE?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hey guys,

Ok so the Old Girl is being retired, after 14 years and 465,000km, she's finally... breaking in every way shape and form :rip:

So I need to upgrade, I did do a bit of a search but sadly all of the threads are "Want to buy VZ or VE, which is faster?!?!?!?!?". Personally I don't give a toss which is faster by .6 of a second, they are all V6 automatics at the end of the day and I am on my P's, I have no intention of trying to turn a family sedan into a "hecktic as racer, bro".

So now that's out of the way, my main concerns stem from the VE being an "all new model", my VT is a series 1 and has a great many issues with build quality and faults. I've heard the VE S1 (which is all I can really afford) has similar issues. Which is why I am thinking VZ, as I'm hoping in the 6 years since the VT to the VZ, they sorted most of the issues.

If anyone has any opinions or experiences with either car, I'd love to hear them, pros and cons of each.

Cheers,
Mike.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I didnt mind my mates VZ SV6, pretty smooth but really noticed the delivery of torque compared to my brothers VX with the Ecotec, wasnt bad but didnt feel as ballsy even though it accelerated harder. Build quality seemed pretty good, no rattles but only had 140,000 on the clock. It was definitely a more refined drive then a VX but not lightyears ahead.
I wouldnt have a problem owning one on a day to day basis.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
vz was the first series with the alloytec so i dunno how things went on that front

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
What did you do with the vt ? I would go for a ve s1 or s2 it would not bother me its not a new car cheers.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I didnt mind my mates VZ SV6, pretty smooth but really noticed the delivery of torque compared to my brothers VX with the Ecotec, wasnt bad but didnt feel as ballsy even though it accelerated harder. Build quality seemed pretty good, no rattles but only had 140,000 on the clock. It was definitely a more refined drive then a VX but not lightyears ahead.
I wouldnt have a problem owning one on a day to day basis.

It will be my daily, so reliability is a factor, I'm guessing compared to the VT the VZ is much further ahead though.

What did you do with the vt ? I would go for a ve s1 or s2 it would not bother me its not a new car cheers.

Nothing yet, my Uncle wants it for spares, otherwise paddy basher maybe lol.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
It comes down to cost. If you can afford a VE get it; its safety and dynamics are well ahead of the VT-VZ generation. That being said, have driven a VZ when they were new (RTA fleet car); was a perfectly lovely drive. From what I have heard the VE is not the reliability nightmare the VT series one was. Its not up to japanese levels of brilliance but its no 90s hyundai neither. Lower cost may give you more choice with the VZ; if you have no interest in going fast consider the berlina/calais models. I think the VE S1 may use more fuel for it is heavier. Personally, though I prefer the look and feel of the VZ. Parents had a VE, I drove it a couple of times; just didn't feel right, didn't feel like a commodore.

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
Ok how much are you after if you want too sell it. Dad needs some parts and his is white too cheers Travis.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
It comes down to cost. If you can afford a VE get it; its safety and dynamics are well ahead of the VT-VZ generation. That being said, have driven a VZ when they were new (RTA fleet car); was a perfectly lovely drive. From what I have heard the VE is not the reliability nightmare the VT series one was. Its not up to japanese levels of brilliance but its no 90s hyundai neither. Lower cost may give you more choice with the VZ; if you have no interest in going fast consider the berlina/calais models. I think the VE S1 may use more fuel for it is heavier. Personally, though I prefer the look and feel of the VZ. Parents had a VE, I drove it a couple of times; just didn't feel right, didn't feel like a commodore.

Didn't feel like a Commodore? Didn't understeer an oversteer in the same corner :p Ideally, my budget would be no more than $14,000.

Ok how much are you after if you want too sell it. Dad needs some parts and his is white too cheers Travis.

Sorry mate, promised to my Uncle at the moment, if that falls through or he doesn't need it - I'll let you know.