Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nylon sump plug washer - VX Commodore

bushpig666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Hey. For anyone wanting a substitute for the aluminium sump plug washer, here it is. At $0.50 each, bargain.

NYLON SUMP PLUG WASHER

I got sick of having to overtighten the sump plug just to stop it from leaking and it was only a matter of time before I tore the thread on the sump. Even using a new aluminium washer each time didn't work. I ended up stripping/destroying the head of the sump plug getting it off.

The M24 nylon washer is an absolutely perfect fit. I've only done 200km's since the oil change and have absolutely no leaks. I'll report back after my next service as to how it all went. Cheers, Joe.

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Somethings wrong if its leaking every time. I have done oil changes in literally hundreds of ecotec motors using the alloy washer every time. Never had to 'over tighten' them and never had one leak on me.

89vn_Jai

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exectutive
Although I should add they can get quite tight. If I feel its real tight then use a single hex socket and breaker bar. Which it sounds like you haven't been.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Dont think i would trust a nylon sump plug washer. It might be ok on short runs where your oil doesnt get hot but i would be worried on a long trip or on a hot day because it could soften and let the sump plug come loose. A fibre washer would be better.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Somethings wrong if its leaking every time. I have done oil changes in literally hundreds of ecotec motors using the alloy washer every time. Never had to 'over tighten' them and never had one leak on me.

I agree,somethings not right if it keeps leaking. I change my oil every 5000 km, so my sump plug gets undone/retightened regularly, it doesnt even weep a drop of oil between changes, I havent even replaced the sealing washer in the 8 or so years Ive had the car. I always tighten the plug to the proper recommended torque spec with a torque wrench, I go for around 45 Nm, which is around halfway between the max and min torque figures given for the VS sump plug, which is between 30 and 60 Nm. The sealing washer on mine is a soft copper washer, not alloy. I wouldnt trust a nylon washer..

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i went to kelly holden cardiff yestaday to buy a sump plug washer fo vz v6, bloke behing the counter said it was cheaper to buy the bolt with washer $6.60 than to buy just the washer... 5 bucks something, needless to say i bought the the bolt .... a bit dearer than the old vs which is around the 2 buck mark

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
I personally always prefer a metal washer, but either way it shouldn't be leaking. You don't by chance have the wrong sump plug or more than one washer? Otherwise, the leaks probably coming from somewhere else, unless you've somehow damaged the sump itself. And as for going to Holden to buy one washer...far out...next time go to literally ANY auto parts store and buy a couple there in a little pack for $2 or whatever minuscule amount they actually cost lol.

bushpig666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
So for anyone interested. I've completed two change since adapting the Nylon washer and all is great. Will be doing the next change in the next couple of weeks. Drip and leak free without having to over tighten the sump plug. Recommend to all.

bushpig666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Although I should add they can get quite tight. If I feel its real tight then use a single hex socket and breaker bar. Which it sounds like you haven't been.

That's a good point, I didn't which caused the stripping of the plug but either way I don't want to go back to the metal washer and having to over tighten the plug again.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
My ecotecs didn't need a hard tighten.. just tight and a little more with the silver washer.. Worked fine every time.